Author Topic: Andrew White Campbell Steuben Co New York State  (Read 390 times)

Offline junie43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew White Campbell Steuben Co New York State
« on: Sunday 12 March 23 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi i am seeking information for Andrew White who was born in Newtownstewart Co Tyrone Northern Ireland 30/4//1858 he emigrated to New York on the Ethiopia arriving 8/4/1875
According to the New York State Census for 2nd Election District of Campbell Steuben County he was living with his brotherinlaw Thomas Wasson (Watson) and Jane Wasson(White ) with their children, and another sister
Letitia White. Please note that the given name for Thomas Wasson is Watson but the family changed it to Wasson due to a family member marrying a catholic and the Watsons were protestant they later changed their surname back to Watson.  Here the trail ends i cannot find anymore information about him. Hoping there is someone in the community that can help thank you

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew White Campbell Steuben Co New York State
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 March 23 00:44 GMT (UK) »
That is the 1875 Census.
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LBZ8-R24

Where he isn't:
He is said to have had 4 sisters
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LBZ8-R24.

three are in Steuben County in 1880 and Andrew isn't with any of them.
Martha
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZFT-2ZZ
Letitia
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZFY-FQB
Jane (White) Watson
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZFT-J1C
the fourth, Rebecca (White) Rossiter, is said to have had a child born in Australia in 1873
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LDJM-TMB

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 March 23 00:48 GMT (UK) »
That tree at familysearch  had a few sources for Andrew. One is this 1915 Census in Bath, Steuben Co. Could this be him?
Name   Andrew White
Age   57
Event Date   1915
Event Place   Bath, Steuben, New York, United States
Relationship to Head of Household   Head
House Number   24
Line Number   46
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K9PN-DRR

edit:
looking for anyone named White in that census in Bath, with either a father or spouse named Andrew did not turn up anyone on the first page of results at familysearch, where you'd think it would show up if there was anyone.

The age matches. Did he remain single, go West to seek his fortune and return to Bath later, where his family members were? Maybe.
Ancestry has the images of that census. If you can, check that man's neighbors. Maybe he is living next to one of the White sisters.

Or look for the sisters on the census at familysearch and see if the house number and line number come close to that man.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 March 23 01:11 GMT (UK) »
His sister, Jane Watson, died 11 Jan 1916 in Rochester, NY. Her obit only mentions her 4 daughters and a son as surviving.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 March 23 01:29 GMT (UK) »
That tree at familysearch  had a few sources for Andrew. One is this 1915 Census in Bath, Steuben Co. Could this be him?
Name   Andrew White
Age   57
Event Date   1915
Event Place   Bath, Steuben, New York, United States
Relationship to Head of Household   Head
House Number   24
Line Number   46
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K9PN-DRR

edit:
looking for anyone named White in that census in Bath, with either a father or spouse named Andrew did not turn up anyone on the first page of results at familysearch, where you'd think it would show up if there was anyone.
I think it is a mis-transcription error. In my opinion, the name looks to be Andrew Miller
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline junie43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 March 23 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your comments but i have known about all the information you have given me i have detailed information of his siblings and their families it is Andrew that i cannot find after 1875 Census there are a lot of people with the name Andrew White which makes it doubly difficult i thought there may have been someone from Campbell Steuben Co who may have had some information/pointed me in the right direction but thank you for your help I will keep looking.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 March 23 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi junie43.  :)  I think possibly those who were trying to help were hoping that Andrew might have settled down near family members which is possibly why the RootsChatters pointed out Andrew’s family members. It is helpful to read what has been found by RootsChatters; it avoids duplicating efforts when we are trying to help.  Finding family members can also lead to newspaper notices, which can include the name of the individual in question, or even exclude his name posing the question perhaps he died by the time of the newspaper write-up (or was omitted for a variety of reasons).

Perhaps with time, someone from Andrew’s last known location, or even a descendant, may have answers for you but it might be a wee bit more likely that a RootsChatter can find something helpful or suggest other ideas to try.

While I haven’t yet found anything helpful for your search, I haven’t given up trying. Perhaps others are trying as well.  Might you have any other details about him, no matter how small, that could provide additional clues please?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 March 23 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps it’s just a coincidence with some of the details (especially his supposed year of birth), but…

Texas Death Certificate
Andrew White, died 30 June 1925, Harris, Texas.  Age 74 years.
Length of residence in city or town where death occurred: 28 years.
Widower.  No occupation.
Born April 30, Ireland.
Parents: John White and Jane Fulton, both born Ireland.
City and county of death: not filled in but informant was Jefferson Davis Hospital, Houston, Texas.

I’ve not yet found this man in other records.   :-\

Added: his address was (314 1/2?) Milam.  There is such a street in Houston.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 March 23 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps it’s just a coincidence with some of the details (especially his supposed year of birth), but…

Texas Death Certificate
Andrew White, died 30 June 1925, Harris, Texas.  Age 74 years.
Parents: John White and Jane Fulton, both born Ireland.

Those were his parents' names according to the tree at familysearch with his sisters in it.
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LBZ8-R24