Author Topic: Totally Perplexed by Irish Place Name "Barney Arrah" Galway  (Read 1331 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Totally Perplexed by Irish Place Name "Barney Arrah" Galway
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Mentioned earlier so will just sum up
Children of Thomas and Catherine - both dittoed as born ‘Barney Atha’.

1871 census
Patrick 20yrs
Thomas 5 yrs

Lancashire BMD births
1866 Michael mmn Cusham died 1867 (there is a death so presume it is him)
1869 John mmn Crusham

As you say - big gap between Patrick and the younger ones.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 22:14 GMT (UK) »
A brief note to say thank you to everyone that has participated thus far and tried to help me fathom this out. You can all see and understand my plight.

My long term aim, since the Concannon family is not genetically mine, is to be able to discover where the Concannon clan originated and then take one of their descendents (a very dear friend of mine) to visit their plot of land and or farm.

Thanks again.......

Hopefully more information or ideas will come to light.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Just to point out, that there is also a Barnacurra townland:

https://www.townlands.ie/galway/killian/killian/castleffrench/barnacurra/

Aaaagh Gaffy you are right.

Looking at the Griffiths Valuation link there are some 'Kilcommons' there Patrick, John, Matthias and Michael. I wonder if this is a scrambled rendering of Concannon, Concannan  Concannor, Concannar

So for townlands we have Barnacurra, Barnacurragh and  Boyounagh for the Scottish census  Barney Arrah

I would try to find the local family history centre and see if they have some ideas and failing/as well as  that set out for a wonderful trip to Co Galway listening for the those Galway accents, 'the sweetest in all Ireland' 

https://heritage.galwaycommunityheritage.org/content/category/topics/your-galway-genealogy

Perhaps also see if you and your friend can 'tie down' the links to the families. Has your friend got others who may be able to help.  Often the interest in genealogy skips down the genrations and she/he might find that a niece or gt niece has more info.   

Pl keep us up to date with how you get on and also what you decide about your trip/where you decide to go.   :)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 18 March 23 21:52 GMT (UK) »
The research I had done previously with the research added by everyone here, leads me to the triangular area of Tuam, Glenamaddy and Mountbellew, I had hoped to identify a particular house or dwelling, but that might never happen, however I am happy enough to have found the general area they originated from. It also fits with the information found here on the WWW;

http://burkeseastgalway.com/concannon/

Note mention of the places Glenamaddy, Ballygaddy and Tuam.

I am curious about the 'elephant' on the coat of arms, my immediate thought was that it reminds me of a bear with a salmon in its mouth......

All interesting stuff. I just wish the research was easier than it is, though that said, I am doing this all from my armchair at home and not travelling to various places and archives trawling through masses of old documents where they exist, so I suppose I have it an awful lot easier than previous generations who did not have the benefit of the Internet!

Once again, thank you all for participating! I am happy to continue to receive more input though if it is forthcoming.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 18 March 23 22:04 GMT (UK) »
I think you need to work out which of the families found/locations are your friend's.  From that you may find a townland. If you are lucky you may find that townland is mentioned with an ancestor you know belongs to your research. 

Many Irish moved and their areas were taken over by others.  In my ancestor case their property was taken over by a neighbour, venturing up a no exit road  I came across a semi circular turning area and some metal gates swung from old stone pillars. Inside the gates was a large, planted area. I later found that this was my ancestor's place and on the paddock plan it was named as such.  The turning are was his driveway.  The gate pillars were his. 

But before finding this I had nailed down the possibility that my people came from there. 

Looking at the occupants on Griffiths will help. 

I feel sure that you can get to the townland and the location on the townland but not sure if there would be a dwelling left.