Author Topic: What happened to Ellen Hickin, born in Lapworth in 1861?  (Read 211 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to Ellen Hickin, born in Lapworth in 1861?
« on: Friday 17 March 23 14:20 GMT (UK) »
I’d be grateful for help with Ellen Hickin, daughter of William & Ellen, who was born in Lapworth in 1861. She was still at home in 1881 (at Lower Liveridge Hill Farm, Beaudesert) but that is the last I know of her. She must be the one child (out of 12) of William & Ellen who had died before the 1911 Census, since all of the others are accounted for.

Dave  :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Ellen Hickin, born in Lapworth in 1861?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 March 23 18:14 GMT (UK) »
An Ellen Hickin of the right age married in Birmingham in 1896 to either Joseph Thompson or John Thursfield. I haven’t managed to locate either of them in the 1901 Census to check on the wife’s place of birth.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 March 23 18:27 GMT (UK) »
If that is her marriage - she should be on the 1891 census as Hickin
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 March 23 18:31 GMT (UK) »
If that is her marriage - she should be on the 1891 census as Hickin

I haven’t managed to find her in the 1891 Census under either Hickin or Hicken. All I know is that she was at home in 1881 and had died by the time of the 1911 Census. I suspect that she may have gone into service since some of her sisters did.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 March 23 18:32 GMT (UK) »
How do you know she had died before the 1911 census
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 March 23 18:43 GMT (UK) »
You say “an Ellen Hickin of the right age married in Birmingham 1896”

How do you know her age as it isn’t on freebmd & you can’t find her on the 1901?

The 1881 has an Ellen Hicken b 1867 & an Ellen Hickum?? B 1861

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 March 23 19:39 GMT (UK) »
You say “an Ellen Hickin of the right age married in Birmingham 1896”

How do you know her age as it isn’t on freebmd & you can’t find her on the 1901?

The 1881 has an Ellen Hicken b 1867 & an Ellen Hickum?? B 1861

Sorry, I didn’t mean right age with respect to the 1896 marriage. I should have put “right area”.
I know she had died before the 1911 Census because I can account for the 11 living siblings in the 1911 Census and Ellen must be the one child out of twelve who had died by then. Ellen was aged 20 in the 1881 Census in Beaudesert, Warks. She was born in Lapworth and registered in the Solihull district in 1861.