Author Topic: Free Waterloo check  (Read 447 times)

Offline simpleboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Free Waterloo check
« on: Saturday 18 March 23 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Free Waterloo check.
I keep a database of 'British' soldiers who all served during the Waterloo campaign of 1815.
Of the 33000 names I have, 23000 have personal information, so there is a good chance I have some data on your man. 

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Free Waterloo check
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 March 23 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi I was wondering if you have anything on a Peter Fairweather born 1783 St Vigeans Angus Scotland unsure if he fought at Waterloo but his children births indicate he was in the army and his widow married William Sangster (who was at Waterloo) sometime between 1814 birth of her last child with Peter and 1823 birth of her first child with William
Also interested to know what information you have on William Sangster born 1794 Inverkeillor Angus Scotland thanks

Offline simpleboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 March 23 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi, there is only one man with the name 'Fairweather' on my Waterloo Roll, but his name was 'James', and served with the 79th foot at Waterloo.
With regards to 'William Sangster', the only information I have is that he served with the 1st Regiment of Foot ( of Royal Scots ).  serving in Captain 'Marlay's' Company.
I have checked the National Archive Records - but his name is not showing. Also, I have used 'Find MY Past' before now, with the same results. At present, I am using the American site 'FOLD3' and every day I am finding new information on men that I did not find on other sites. So if something does turn up in my future searches - I will let you know. 
Kind regards
Ed

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 March 23 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this William Sangster was my 4xgt grandfather so have most things about him was more interested in Peter Fairweather as he was the first husband of my 4xgt grandmother and just wondered if he had been at Waterloo as well and if you had anything on William that I didn't

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 March 23 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Free Waterloo check.
I keep a database of 'British' soldiers who all served during the Waterloo campaign of 1815.
Of the 33000 names I have, 23000 have personal information, so there is a good chance I have some data on your man.

I have Angus McKay died 18th June 1815 at the battle of Waterloo. Age 21. He is named on a family headstone at Eccles Berwickshire Scotland.

Another I have is John Innes born 1767 Kelso Roxburghshire Scotland. All I have on him is from the death certificate of his son saying he was a soldier. He may have been to old.

Thank you Norma.

Offline simpleboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 March 23 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Norma.   I have nine men with the name 'Angus McKay' on my roll, two of whom died from their wounds: the first, a private of the 42nd Foot, and the second, a Serjeant of the 79th Foot.  I would assume the man of the 42nd Foot who died aged 21, is the one mentioned on the family headstone at Eccles.
With regards to 'John Innes' - I have three men with this name.
A Private in the 42nd Foot.
"        "          "  79th Foot.
"         "         "  92nd Foot.  This man was born in Inverness and enlisted in 1794, aged 23, so could be the man you are alluding to ( although the place of birth differs )
Incidentally, a Private 'George Walker' of the 92nd Foot was aged 58 at Waterloo.

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 March 23 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Norma.   I have nine men with the name 'Angus McKay' on my roll, two of whom died from their wounds: the first, a private of the 42nd Foot, and the second, a Serjeant of the 79th Foot.  I would assume the man of the 42nd Foot who died aged 21, is the one mentioned on the family headstone at Eccles.
With regards to 'John Innes' - I have three men with this name.
A Private in the 42nd Foot.
"        "          "  79th Foot.
"         "         "  92nd Foot.  This man was born in Inverness and enlisted in 1794, aged 23, so could be the man you are alluding to ( although the place of birth differs )
Incidentally, a Private 'George Walker' of the 92nd Foot was aged 58 at Waterloo.

Thank you,  A Private in the 42nd Foot would be my Angus.Knowing he was in the 42nd Foot I may find more on him. I will check all three of your  John Innes out.
Norma

Offline simpleboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 March 23 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Norma, for the information.
I am more than happy to share the data I have on three 'John Innes' but will appreciate it if you prefer to research it yourself.  If you have any more information on 'Angus McKay' I will add it to my database.
Ed.