Author Topic: Wartime engine driver?  (Read 555 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wartime engine driver?
« on: Thursday 23 March 23 08:21 GMT (UK) »
In 1911 Arthur William Sayers (born 1887) of Ilkeston was a house painter. I don’t know his occupation in 1921, but in 1939 he was certainly a house painter. However, in late 1915 he joined the Army Service Corps, though he went into the reserve and doesn’t seem to have seen service until 1918. His trade was given as “engine driver” on enlistment. Is it likely that this was a job he changed to during the war, probably to fill a shortage caused by the war?
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Wartime engine driver?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 March 23 08:49 GMT (UK) »
A great many miles of temporary railway line were laid behind our trenches to restock the troops. My wife's great grand uncle spent the whole of WWI driving an engine. He was a hatter by trade. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 March 23 08:55 GMT (UK) »
A great many miles of temporary railway line were laid behind our trenches to restock the troops. My wife's great grand uncle spent the whole of WWI driving an engine. He was a hatter by trade. 

Regards 

Chas

The point with Arthur Sayers is that he seems to have become an engine driver before he joined the army, so I wondered whether his change of job from house painter to engine driver was likely to have been due to the war. I think that his war service may actually have involved motor transport.

Dave
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 March 23 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I don’t know his occupation in 1921

In 1921 he was a grocer and confectioner at 48 King Street, Ilkeston (transcribed as Saylor).

Same address in the 1925 directory - shopkeeper.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 March 23 10:24 GMT (UK) »
I don’t know his occupation in 1921

In 1921 he was a grocer and confectioner at 48 King Street, Ilkeston (transcribed as Saylor).

Same address in the 1925 directory - shopkeeper.

Thanks. Quite a varied employment history. I see that his wife was a grocer in 1939. So there seems to be no way of knowing when or why he he had become an engine driver by 1915.

Dave  :)

Offline ColinBignell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Image licenced from iStock
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 March 23 10:48 GMT (UK) »
To confuse matters a little more, railways were not the only places that had engine drivers. Traction engines had drivers, while a stationary engine driver ran the steam engine in a factory.
BIGNELL Oxon, Newport Pagnell Bucks, Highgate, Islington North London
MIDDLETON King's Lynn Norfolk
WILKINSON Islington North London
FARNBANK Berks, Middx
REYNOLDS Newport Pagnell Bucks
GOODING Middx
JEROME Berks
BARKER King's Lynn Norfolk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 March 23 11:24 GMT (UK) »
To confuse matters a little more, railways were not the only places that had engine drivers. Traction engines had drivers, while a stationary engine driver ran the steam engine in a factory.

Thanks. Yes, I did think of traction engines too, but not of stationary engines. I think the only thing I can conclude is that he wasn’t painting houses at the time he joined up.

Dave  :)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 March 23 21:17 GMT (UK) »
The thing is ... the Railway Operating Division (which was recruited from professional railwaymen) was part of the Royal Engineers, not the Army Service Corps.

The narrow gauge lines from the foreard supply depots to the front lines were not operated by the ROD ... but I think that they WERE also under the aegis of the RE not the ASC.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 March 23 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I think the stationary engine driver is the most likely occupation
as being a locomotive driver would takes years to achieve.
3 years  just wouldn't cut it.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/