Author Topic: 1931 Canada Census - released on 1st June  (Read 3795 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1931 Canada Census - released on 1st June
« on: Friday 24 March 23 12:55 GMT (UK) »
"After the legislated 92 years in the vault, the highly anticipated 1931 Census of Canada will be made available to the public. Collected during the Great Depression and at a time of significant immigration, the census provides a snapshot of the more than 10 million people living in Canada in 1931. On June 1, 2023, Canadians can expect to browse the digitized census images by geographic district and sub-district on the Library and Archives Canada (LAC) website. Following the initial release, LAC will work collaboratively with Ancestry® and FamilySearch International to create an advanced searchable database for Canadians and those with Canadian heritage who wish to look for their ancestors.

In this collaborative effort to increase access to the 1931 Census of Canada, LAC has digitized all 234,687 pages of the census, and Ancestry will apply its state-of-the-art handwriting recognition technology to the digital images to create a full index of the entire census. FamilySearch will then review the computer-generated index to ensure a complete and accurate index of all fields at a level never achieved before. The images and indexes will be available and searchable online for free through Census Search, Library and Archives Canada’s new one-stop shop for national census records. The images and indexes will also be available on Ancestry.ca and FamilySearch.org."

https://www.canada.ca/en/library-archives/news/2023/03/1931-census-of-canada-to-be-released-on-june-1-2023.html

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1931 Canada Census - released on 1st June
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 March 23 16:09 GMT (UK) »
This is great news for anyone who might be researching Canadian families.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 March 23 16:43 GMT (UK) »
That's great news, I have a 10 year gap to fill.
Thanks for sharing.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 March 23 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Glad to share :). As with the 1950 US Census release, although the images will be available immediately it might take a year or so for the index to be completed, although perhaps if Ancestry's 'state of the art handwriting recognition technology' is as good as they say, and Familysearch does a quick job checking it they might get it done sooner. This page shows the progress of the project and will show some behind the scenes info:

https://library-archives.canada.ca/eng/corporate/website-updates/pages/census-1931.aspx

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 March 23 17:41 GMT (UK) »
With bated breath  ;D

Thanks for sharing MS.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 March 23 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Excellent News

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 March 23 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Recently able to see my father as an infant, his parents and siblings on the 1921 England census, soon I will be able to see them ten years later in Canada.  In that span they went to Canada for a couple of years, returned to England and then decided to go back to Canada for good.

Offline EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 March 23 00:39 GMT (UK) »
When the 1950 U S census was released I found a number of 4th and 5th cousins that I did not know about. Maybe I will have similar luck with the 1931.

Ed
Pickering E Yorkshire, Ontario Can
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate