Author Topic: "Melba" Bangle  (Read 234 times)

Offline margill68

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Melba" Bangle
« on: Thursday 30 March 23 04:48 BST (UK) »
Hi I am researching this lady and in the NSW Police Gazette 9 Nov 1921 I have in Stolen, Lost or Missing Emma Ciltheroe 12 Jesmond St Darlinghurst - 9 carrat gold "Nellie Stewart" Bangle (dented)
I have found lots of information online about Nellie Stewart.
9 carrat oval gold "Melba" Bangle. I am assuming that Melba refers to Dame Nellie Melba. Does anyone have a discription or photo of the "Melba" Bangle.

Offline Dirtypaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: "Melba" Bangle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 March 23 05:08 BST (UK) »
At a glance it appears bangles of the era were attribute and endorsed by actresses and singers of the era  i believe MELBA bracelet  and stewart to be two different bracelets endorsed to be reproduced through a jewellers as per TROVE advertisind hope this helps it appears that the original bracelet was
to be cremated with her but was not and  but ended up being destroyed many years later in a fire.

Craig
Nicholls
Walsh
Beswick
Pritchard
Pugh
Kofoed

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 March 23 05:31 BST (UK) »
Background and photos
https://www.jprstudies.org/2014/10/the-private-and-public-life-of-nellie-stewarts-bangleby-annita-boyd/

Newspaper info here about Melba Bangle
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/242020505?searchTerm=“Melba%20bangle”

A simple search on google brings up numerous photos.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline margill68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 March 23 06:27 BST (UK) »
Thank You both for your replies.  Celebrity is not a new thing by any means.  I have a photo of myself aged about six years with a much to large gold bangles on my arm, a gift I think from one of my aunts.