Author Topic: Postcard for dating please  (Read 735 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Postcard for dating please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 April 23 08:33 BST (UK) »
Good thinking re Google Lens - I was going to ask if you'd found out who the publisher was, but I see the eBay seller doesn't know.

It does look rather like a Bull-nosed Morris, but more useful is the registration number - PM6097. The PM series was issued in Sussex from February 1922 to July 1927 (source: https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/pm.htm), so at a guess this one would have been registered around 1925.

So the publisher seems to have been in business and using that logo after that (but possibly before as well).

Even better thinking to use the car registration number! I didn’t even realise it was the car reg, I just thought it was some sort of seller’s catalogue number ::).

I did notice that some postcards on ebay have essentially the same logo but with the wording in a diamond shape, but I couldn’t work out whether it was an earlier or later form of the logo. The car and the ship seem to be the only subjects which can be linked to a definite “not before” date.

Dave  :)

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline cliffkinch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Postcard for dating please
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 April 23 10:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Arthurk and Davedrave.

I had a mooch on that eBay link you sent and the description on the images of other Sibford cards have the same flourish on the S just like mine does and this is attributed to Percy Simms.

Googling further I found that Simms was a Chipping Norton photographer and a rival of his, Frank Packer and latterly his son Basil, took over Simms' studio and all of the Packers work is now digitised https://heritagesearch.oxfordshire.gov.uk/search/all:images/0_50/all/score_desc/frank%20packer

Both Simms and Packer worked from 1910 onwards, so the suggestion that the card is not pre-1903 seems well founded

Many thanks for all the research carried out!

South Shields, London - Stobbs, Winfield
Banham - Limmer
Wilts, S.Wales - Comley
Oxfordshire - Kinch, Gomm, Probbitts