Author Topic: Anyone use Familysearch - successfully?!  (Read 717 times)

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone use Familysearch - successfully?!
« on: Friday 21 April 23 16:38 BST (UK) »
When I started looking at family history about 10 years ago Familysearch was a doddle to use and very helpful.  After a break I tried to use it last year and couldn`t get anywhere.  In fact I posted here asking if there was some sort of Idiots Guide available and the answer seemed to be that everyone was now struggling with it.
I tried again last week and was so boggled by the instructions that I gave up pretty quickly.  Has anyone mastered it?  There are various video tutorials but all  the ones I have tried to use are out of date and no longer work with the current site

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone use Familysearch - successfully?!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 April 23 16:43 BST (UK) »
It is now a requirement to create an account and Sign In on the FamilySearch website.

Have you successfully completed this first step?

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 April 23 16:49 BST (UK) »
I agree with you there years ago family search was so easy to search but I can't master it now..Wish they had left it the way it was  ???

Rosie

Offline Gallicrow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 April 23 17:24 BST (UK) »
I use it a lot and find it incredibly useful. They do change the way things work quite often, and sometimes they introduce bugs. However the direction of the changes is always well intentioned and once you work it out you realise that the change had made things even better! Stuff like merging records is fundimentally complicated but I think the changes Family Search has made since I first started using it, about three years ago, have made the process as easy as possible.

One irritating change that has been there for a while now is the loss of accuracy for birth and, in particular, death registrations in the UK. The record now usually just gives the county and you have to go to freebmd, the GRO index or ancestry to get the registration district itself.
Eva family in Devon and Cornwall.
Bowdidge family in Devon and Dorset.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 April 23 17:53 BST (UK) »
Is it possibly something to do with the users being there for the benefit of the site rather than vice-versa? Hasa Diga Eebowai!

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 April 23 18:11 BST (UK) »
As far as English parish records are concerned, I found it much easier to use in the past.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 April 23 18:42 BST (UK) »
The old search was very good but you had to type in both parents if I remember when doing a search, whereas with the new FS you can type in as much info in the fields provided and leave some blank if you wish. You may still get some irrelevant results at times when you click on the search though.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 April 23 19:01 BST (UK) »
Yes I use it, it has lots of records not available elsewhere. People should note that not all of the old IGI records were transferred over to the new main familysearch records search, and in fact, were also not as a result given to Ancestry or findmypast as text databases.  The old IGI is now searchable under Genealogies and you may find baptisms or marriages there that do not show up elsewhere. For the main search, just put your name in, with date ranges of whatever you are sure of, and places. Then click the 'Collection' filter in the top left, and scroll over to the right where you can narrow it down to a particular record set i.e. England and Wales Baptisms, England and Wales Census etc.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 April 23 19:10 BST (UK) »
Yes I use it, it has lots of records not available elsewhere. People should note that not all of the old IGI records were transferred over to the new main familysearch records search, and in fact, were also not as a result given to Ancestry or findmypast as text databases.  The old IGI is now searchable under Genealogies and you may find baptisms or marriages there that do not show up elsewhere. For the main search, just put your name in, with date ranges of whatever you are sure of, and places. Then click the 'Collection' filter in the top left, and scroll over to the right where you can narrow it down to a particular record set i.e. England and Wales Baptisms, England and Wales Census etc.

Thanks for the tips. I have been going back to the old fashioned way in recent years by looking at the IGI on microfiche at Norwich library.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain