Author Topic: Anyone use Familysearch - successfully?!  (Read 718 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone use Familysearch - successfully?!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 April 23 19:20 BST (UK) »
I have to remember to set "Country" to England for census searches, and Isle of Man for Parish Records.
Otherwise, no real problems!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 April 23 19:23 BST (UK) »
Yes I use it, it has lots of records not available elsewhere. People should note that not all of the old IGI records were transferred over to the new main familysearch records search, and in fact, were also not as a result given to Ancestry or findmypast as text databases.  The old IGI is now searchable under Genealogies and you may find baptisms or marriages there that do not show up elsewhere. For the main search, just put your name in, with date ranges of whatever you are sure of, and places. Then click the 'Collection' filter in the top left, and scroll over to the right where you can narrow it down to a particular record set i.e. England and Wales Baptisms, England and Wales Census etc.

Thanks for the tips. I have been going back to the old fashioned way in recent years by looking at the IGI on microfiche at Norwich library.
Under Genealogies, you can access most of the older LDS databases, IGI (International Genealogical Index), Pedigree Resource File, Ancestral File and others :).

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 April 23 09:16 BST (UK) »
thanks for the comments - I`m glad I`m not alone!
I think I will have to set aside some time to play with the site and try to find my way around. 
 I did make a bit of progress with it a year ago but I`ve now forgotten what I did - and I think some of the layout has changed again

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 April 23 12:45 BST (UK) »
I find it very difficult to use. Even if I specify “exact” matches it throws up all sorts of irrelevant results.

I will look under “genealogies” as suggested, and hope I have more success there.

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 April 23 15:23 BST (UK) »
I've been struggling too. As a free service I'm grateful for it but found it so much easier years ago. I too will take another look a Genealogies!
Thanks to all for help.
Rayard.