Author Topic: Shropshire Militia  (Read 6896 times)

Offline Peter H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Shropshire Militia
« on: Thursday 08 September 05 12:40 BST (UK) »
I have found a relative, Samuel Feeney (born 1832), in the 1881 census who is listed as Staff Sergeant in the Shropshire Militia. I confess my ignorance here, but I thought the Militia was an unpaid volunteer force raised in times of emergency. But Samuel and others living in adjoining houses appear to be full time regular soldiers.

I can't find any useful information about the Shropshire Militia. Is there some kind soul who can shed light on the status of the Militia at that time and also has any background information on the Shropshire Militia in particular?

Thanks in advance, Peter

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Shropshire Militia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 September 05 12:49 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 September 05 05:33 BST (UK) »
peter,ime guessing that you found him in the camps census,hes a regular soldier,the militia were probably at their annual camp and they were under his control,find out who was in barracks during the census and you will probably find his regt,doesnt it say who else was in camp at this time,there has to be a regular unit with the militia cos they are under training,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Peter H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 September 05 15:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks to CU and Mack for their helpful replies.

Mack:-
I actually found Samuel Feeney living at 7 Armoury Yard, Wenlock Road, Shrewsbury, which I presume is at or close to a permanent barracks rather than an annual camp. There are 12 houses in Armoury Yard and all but two are uninhabited at the time of the census. Another Staff Sergeant, John Morris, was living next door to Samuel at no. 6. Both of them describe themselves as being in the Shropshire Militia.

Does this mean they were regular soldiers on the strength of the Militia, rather than any other regular regiment? The inhabitants of the other houses were perhaps away at camp. Although in that case why were their families not at home?

Peter

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 September 05 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

I have found this:

"1881 - 1st and 2nd Battalions The King's Shropshire Light Infantry were formed from 53rd and 85th Foot, the Militia units of Shropshire and Herefordshire became part of K.S.L.I. and were called 3rd and 4th (Militia) Battalions. Shrewsbury became Regimental Depot"

on www.lightinfantry.org.uk/Regiments/Kings%20Shropshire%20LI/shrop_tl.htm

Is that of any help?  The KSLI's Regimental Museum is in Shrewsbury Castle.  Contact details:
Shrewsbury Castle,
Shrewsbury,
Shropshire,
SY1 2AT
01743-262292
fax : 01743-270023
email: shropsrm@zoom.co.uk

Have you got the other census details for Samuel?  Let me know if you would like the info.

Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peter H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 September 05 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

Thanks very much for that, it's very helpful. I will get on to the museum and see what they have.

As far as the other census details of Samuel are concerned, I have them for him in 1881, but not yet in other years. Did you mean the 81 census? If you have access to other years and can find him I would be very grateful. He was 49, born Shrewsbury in the 81 census and living with wife Mary (44, born LLanyrethlin, Wales) and children George, William, Mary, Fanny, Richard, Thomas, Alfred and Ann.

Thanks again for what you have found.

Peter

Offline sarah e

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Great granddad Wilson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 September 05 17:01 BST (UK) »
Here you go, could you possibly tell me why Shropshire is always shortened to Salop ?

1861 - RG9/1872 - folio 93 - page 15.
Armoury, Holy Cross and St Giles, Shropshire.
Samuel Feeney, head, married, 28, Seargent Salop Militia, bn Shrewsbury, Salop.
Mary Feeney, wife, married, do's wife, bn Llanlyllin, Montgomery.
George Feeney, son, 7 months, do's son, bn Shrewsbury, Salop.

1871 - RG10/2775 - folio 42 - page 18
Military Dept, Holy Cross, Shropshire.
Samuel Feeney, head, married, 38, Seargent staff Militia, bn Shrewsbury, Salop.
Mary Feeney, wife, married, 34, bn shrewsbury, Salop.
George Feeney, son, single, 10, scholar, bn Shrewsbury, Salop.
Samuel Feeney, son, single, 8, scholar, bn Shrewsbury, Salop.
William Feeney, son, single, 6, bn Shrewsbury, Salop.
Mary J Feeney, daughter, single, 4, bn Shrewsbury, Salop.
Fanny Feeney, daughter, single, 4 months, bn Shrewsbury, Salop.

1881 - RG11/2652 - folio 107 - page 18
7 Armory Yard, Winlock Road, Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Samuel Feeney, head, married, 49, Staff Seargent Shropshire Militia, bn Shrewsbury, Salop.
Mary Feeney, wife, married, 44, bn Llany??thlin, Montgomery.
George Feeney, son, single, 21, bricklayer, bn Shrewsbury, Salop.
William Feeney, son, single, 17, labourer, bn Shrewsbury, Salop.
Mary J Feeney, daughter, single, 15, bn Shrewsbury, Salop.
Fanny Feeney, daughter, single, 11, bn Shrewsbury, Salop.
Richard Feeney, son, 9, bn Shrewsbury, Salop.
Thomas Feeney, son, 7, bn Shrewsbury, Salop.
Alfred Feeney, son, 7 months, bn Shrewsbury, Salop.
Ann Feeney, daughter, 13, bn Shrewsbury, Salop.

1891 - RG12/2111 - folio 130 - page 8
8 Armoury Yard, London Road, Holy Cross and St Giles, Shropshire.
Samuel Feeney, head, married, 58, brick layer, bn Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Mary Feeney, wife, married, 54, bn Wales.
Richard J Feeney, son, single, 18, labourer bricklayer, bn Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Thomas Feeney, son, single, 16, labourer bricklayer, bn Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Alfred Feeney, son, single, 10, scholar, bn Shrewsbury, Shropshire.

1901 - RG13/2538 - folio 122 - page 10
8 Armoury, Holy Cross and St Giles, Shropshire.
Samuel Feeney, head, married, 68, bricklayer, bn Shrewsbury, Salop.
Mary Feeney, wife, married, 62, bn Llanfyllyn, Wales.
Richard J Feeney, son, single, 28, bricklayers labourer,  bn Shrewsbury, Salop.
Alfred Feeney, son, single, 21, bricklayers labourer,  bn Shrewsbury, Salop.

Would you like the census details of the other children after they moved out of home?
Glendenning
Laycock
Wilson
Garnett
(Halifax, Shelf, Hunslet, Bradford, Manningham, Leeds)

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 September 05 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

Sarah beat me to it with the census returns but I'll just add these bits.

1861 census: 
Address:  The Armoury, Holy Cross and St Giles, Shropshire. All the neighbours are in the Militia, mostly Sarjeants and their families.

1871 census: 
Address:  Military Depot, Holy Cross, Shropshire.  All the neighbours are in the Militia.

1891 census: 
Address:  8 Armoury Yard, London Road, Holy Cross and St Giles, Shropshire.
No-one in the area now in the Militia.
(The Armoury area lies between London Road and Wenlock Road which is used on the 1881 census.)

The KSLI have a barracks on Copthorne Road in Shrewsbury.  I wonder if these were being built around 1881 and everyone was being moved over to them from the Armoury?

Shropshire has been known as Salop in the past - how the abbreviation came about I don't know.  It was tried again quite recently but most people didn't like it and kept on using Shropshire until the name was changed back.  (A query on the Shropshire board might bring more info - I'm a relative newcomer, only been in Shropshire twenty years!)

Monica 

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peter H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 00:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Sarah and Monica. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of work you have done for me and so quickly. You have provided more information on the family in the last few hours than I have gleaned over months!

Sarah, I hesitate to push my luck, but if you really can find out what happened to the children after they left home I would be delighted - but only if it doesn't involve you in too much work. You've done far more than I could ever hope for already.

As as very slight offering in return, I always understood Salop was a shortened version of the ancient name for Shrewsbury, which in turn gave the name to the County. A quick check in a couple of books confirms this, after a fashion. One says it was Roman (Salopia); another says it was Saxon (Salopesberia); while a third says it was the Norman French who called it Sarop as they couldn't pronounce Scrobbesbyria and it then became Salop. I guess all three could be correct, but being a mere Southerner I'm not in a position to judge!

Many thanks once again, Peter