Author Topic: Excommunication - 1782  (Read 743 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Excommunication - 1782
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 19:31 BST (UK) »
Victorian Values!!! Says it all!!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 23:33 BST (UK) »
Victorian Values!!! Says it all!!
The story is apparently somewhat different. You could only appear in the Consistory Court if you were represented by a Proctor; the Proctors charged large fees and people like Charlotte Jones were exploited by the Proctors. It seems that some at least of the alleged offences (possibly Charlotte's) were simply allegations to raise Proctors' revenue.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 May 23 19:41 BST (UK) »
I have dug out the penitence file transcript from 1732 for Isabella Luffman of Huntingdon, same surname relationship (if any ) unknown. Must have been terrified all for a bit of name calling
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 May 23 20:40 BST (UK) »
Many thanks - I'm obviously going to have another deeper look at the parish registers. 

AND the Robert Archbell information looks very interesting - to be added to my Archbell archives if nothing else.

If you are interested in Archbell sightings found the attached (fingers crossed the link will work) -
https://go.gale.com/ps/retrieve.do?tabID=Monographs&resultListType=RESULT_LIST&searchResultsType=SingleTab&retrievalId=deb156e2-6517-4662-80e8-41566830357d&hitCount=4&searchType=BasicSearchForm&currentPosition=3&docId=GALE%7CCW0124484948&docType=Monograph&sort=Pub+Date+Forward+Chron&contentSegment=ZCEW&prodId=ECCO&pageNum=1&contentSet=GALE%7CCW0124484948&searchId=R1&userGroupName=nlw_ttda&inPS=true

For some reason page 2 is not being picked up - page 1 is being repeated. Odd 

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 May 23 22:48 BST (UK) »
All I'm getting is the log-in page of the National Library of Wales!!!  And now "bad request"
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 May 23 10:55 BST (UK) »
All I'm getting is the log-in page of the National Library of Wales!!!  And now "bad request"

Have sent a PM