Author Topic: Single letter surnames  (Read 637 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Single letter surnames
« on: Thursday 18 May 23 21:42 BST (UK) »

I worked on the railway for 40 years, often in positions with personnel records involvement.
During that time I came across one solitary instance of a person with a One letter surname which I shan't mention as it might breach confidence. The person involved had to have his surname extended to the way the letter itself is spelt to enable a record to be accepted by the computers used in producing pay, rosters etc etc.
Has anyone else encountered a case like this, and if possible without breaching data protection regulations what letters were involved please?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Single letter surnames
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 May 23 21:53 BST (UK) »
There was something in much older editions (1970s) of the Guinness Book of Records about this; if I remember the single-letter name was French.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 May 23 22:19 BST (UK) »
"This article reports on the results of a telephone-directory search
for twenty- six undeniably rare U. S. surnames - - those consisting of a
single letter of the alphabet. Without identifying individual bearers of
the s e su rnames, or even the cities 0 r towns where they can be found,
Social Security in 1974 noted that there were a total of 221 such people
in the ir files, ranging from a high of 24 (A) to a low of 2 (Q, N, and X)."

https://digitalcommons.butler.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?httpsredir=1&article=2660&context=wordways
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 May 23 22:27 BST (UK) »
A variation on this theme is single letter forenames. The first names of the great blues singer and guitarist J B Lenoir were these letters. they were not initials - this was his full name.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 May 23 09:22 BST (UK) »
A variation on this theme is single letter forenames. The first names of the great blues singer and guitarist J B Lenoir were these letters. they were not initials - this was his full name.

Wasn't there an American President with a single letter middle name?   

I once worked with a man with the surname Ao - pronounced just like the 2 letters. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 May 23 09:03 BST (UK) »
Harry S Truman apparently - there were two relatives vying to pass on their name as Harry's middle name, but both began with S so the single letter was the compromise.

If I remember the Guinness article correctly, there was at the time just one person in the Uk with a one-letter surname, but that was not revealed for confidentiality reasons. However, it was believed to be "O" - there are several such families in France.

Two-letter British surnames include By and On - but I've only encountered Bye and Onn (MPs). I studied under an Ng which is pronounced as the nasal sound, but he was happy to be called N G.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 May 23 11:29 BST (UK) »
If you believe the transcription on Ancestry, Ye Roberts was baptized in 1734 in Ashleworth, Gloucestershire.
The actual record in the BT says "Ye son of". The first name was left out. In the register, it states John, son of....
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 May 23 21:44 BST (UK) »
"This article reports on the results of a telephone-directory search
for twenty- six undeniably rare U. S. surnames - - those consisting of a
single letter of the alphabet. Without identifying individual bearers of
the s e su rnames, or even the cities 0 r towns where they can be found,
Social Security in 1974 noted that there were a total of 221 such people
in the ir files, ranging from a high of 24 (A) to a low of 2 (Q, N, and X)."

https://digitalcommons.butler.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?httpsredir=1&article=2660&context=wordways
The person I met briefly was in the rarest category!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)