Author Topic: Romani/Roma family in Kentucky/Arkansas and beyond  (Read 291 times)

Offline BrookeyT

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Romani/Roma family in Kentucky/Arkansas and beyond
« on: Thursday 25 May 23 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hello! I just discovered that I have quite a bit of Roma/Indian/Spanish/Balkan/Italian/Middle Eastern ancestry. I thought I was about 99% British/Scottish/Irish/German so I am shocked. I believe it's on my mom's side who came from Kentucky. Last names in Kentucky that I suspect are Tabor, Brown, Low (Lowe), Roe, Bailey, Cox, Bowater, Draper, Goolman, Green, Sawyer and Beckelhymer. Anyone have connections that might help me find the roots of all these?

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Romani/Roma family in Kentucky/Arkansas and beyond
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 23 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hiya Brookey T and a warm welcome to Rootschat
not quite sure what you are after - descendants or family trees ??

an example
Jacob Goolman
Born in 1786
Deceased 11 August 1815, aged 29 years old

Parents Henry Goolman
 Eleanor Conkwright 1761-

Spouses and children
Married 3 March 1808, Clark, Kentucky, USA, to Mary Polly Dunaway with
M Henry Dunaway Goolman ca 1809-
F Sally F. Goolman 1810-
F Nellie C. Goolman 1812-

Siblings
M Isaac Goolman 1784-1834
F Polly Goolman
M Charles Goolman ca 1783-1833
M Jacob Goolman 1786-1815
M Abraham Goolman 1788-
M Infant Goolman 1795-
F Eleanor Goolman
is this the type of record you are looking for ??
Henry Goolman and Eleanor Conkwright  Married 9 September 1780, Rowan, North Carolina,
 :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 23 09:12 BST (UK) »
Tabor - Kentucky
https://en.geneanet.org/fonds/individus/?size=10&ignore_each_patronyme=&ignore_each_prenom=&type_periode=between&exact_month=&exact_day=&exact_year=&sexe=&nom=tabor&ignore_each_patronyme=&prenom=&prenom_operateur=or&ignore_each_prenom=&place__0__=&zonegeo__0__=Kentucky%2C+United+States&country__0__=USA&region__0__=KEN&subregion__0__=&place__1__=&zonegeo__1__=&country__1__=&region__1__=&subregion__1__=&place__2__=&zonegeo__2__=&country__2__=&region__2__=&subregion__2__=&place__3__=&zonegeo__3__=&country__3__=&region__3__=&subregion__3__=&place__4__=&zonegeo__4__=&country__4__=&region__4__=&subregion__4__=&type_periode=between&from=&to=&exact_month=&exact_day=&exact_year=&go=1
good luck with that - over 1700 records ... :)
ADDED
Beckelhymer Kentucky
48 results
https://en.geneanet.org/fonds/individus/?size=10&ignore_each_patronyme=&ignore_each_prenom=&type_periode=between&exact_month=&exact_day=&exact_year=&sexe=&nom=Beckelhymer&ignore_each_patronyme=&prenom=&prenom_operateur=or&ignore_each_prenom=&place__0__=&zonegeo__0__=Kentucky%2C+United+States&country__0__=USA&region__0__=KEN&subregion__0__=&place__1__=&zonegeo__1__=&country__1__=&region__1__=&subregion__1__=&place__2__=&zonegeo__2__=&country__2__=&region__2__=&subregion__2__=&place__3__=&zonegeo__3__=&country__3__=&region__3__=&subregion__3__=&place__4__=&zonegeo__4__=&country__4__=&region__4__=&subregion__4__=&type_periode=between&from=&to=&exact_month=&exact_day=&exact_year=&go=1
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 May 23 14:21 BST (UK) »
You need to focus on your tree through paper records and the chances are any Romani will show itself. Many Romani changed their names to blend in with the locals, certainly when moving around the UK, and they used aliases not to be identified. The names you offer could be travellers, as a few I recognise from Rootschat, but there are many others. Of those names, not all were travellers. Not all travellers were Romani. And, not all Spanish/Balkan/Italian/Middle Eastern were Romani.

Having taken a DNA test, I have 8.6% Pashtun (Indian) which indicates I have Romani in my lineage. It is either quite a lot from one ancestor in recent times, or many ancestors from further back, when the combined makes 8.6%. Having traced back to 1800 there is none on either side, so it must be from further back. Then I hit a brick wall on both sides.