Author Topic: Devlins of Bogside  (Read 670 times)

Offline InLiverpool

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Devlins of Bogside
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 June 23 16:08 BST (UK) »
Arrowsmith,Richardson - Ormskirk,Lathom,Burscough,North Meols, Southport, Croston, Tarleton
Walmsley - Liverpool
Cullen, Ryan - Wexford
O'Brien, Cooper - Liverpool

Offline InLiverpool

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 June 23 16:13 BST (UK) »
Anne_p
Are you on ancestry? I think you may have come up on my hints which I probably disregarded. I will revisit that thanks.
Jo
Arrowsmith,Richardson - Ormskirk,Lathom,Burscough,North Meols, Southport, Croston, Tarleton
Walmsley - Liverpool
Cullen, Ryan - Wexford

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 June 23 16:19 BST (UK) »
I haven't had a searchable tree on Ancestry for years so I don't think that it would have come up on your hints.
However, most of the information out there relating to Edward and Isabella prior to their move to Liverpool ( between 1865 and 1871)  came from my own research that I passed to another researcher a good few years ago and who is my DNA match.

Isabella had a 2nd daughter who must have been born between 1842 and 1846.
I can't locate an original baptism but, she too had an RC baptism which is also annotated as convert.
Oddly, she was baptised 2 yrs before her older sister. My guess is that she was between 6 & 9yrs old at this time.
I also assume that this girl died in childhood because Edward and Isabella went on to have another child with the same given name

I would advise that you search the Irish Catholic Baptisms for St Columbs, Longtower as the sponsors for Edward and Isabella's children reveal a lot.
Isabella's eldest daughter was actually sponsor to one of the younger children and I'm pretty certain that my direct ancestor ( Edward's older brother)  was the sponsor for a few of the others

Offline InLiverpool

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 June 23 18:43 BST (UK) »
anne_p
Thanks for the information.
Regards
Walmsley - Liverpool
Cullen, Ryan - Wexford

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 June 23 07:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks - here it is:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1865/03585/2321502.pdf
Yes, that is the record. Anyone know where 91 Bogside is?

After much searching of newspapers snippets and census records, I think Fahan Street and possibly St Columb’s Well might be the area.
If you search the newspapers abt 1901, there are several references to a number and then Bogside. If you then compare with 1901 census, the address is Fahan Street.
There is a Facebook site ‘Derry of the Past’ which seems to have lots of images.

Here is an example from a previous Rootschat query re the Margey family living at 127 Bogside in 1911.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=511084.
Here is that family in the census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_Urban__4_/Fahan_Street/603216/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 June 23 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi anne_p,
Do you have details re the previous marriage of Isabella - the name of the spouse and also the name of the daughter/s you refer to?

‘Isabella's eldest daughter was actually sponsor to one of the younger children’

Are you aware that Isabella Mackey/Macky was married before?
Edward's family came from Molenan and Isabella's were from Kilrea.
As per the newspaper announcement of 1841, Isabella's father was living in Molenan when she married her first husband. Presbyterian marriage.

Where was the announcement published please?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline InLiverpool

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 June 23 08:57 BST (UK) »
Heywood ( any reference to Heywood Street?)

Thank you for that I will check those references
Regards
Jo
Walmsley - Liverpool
Cullen, Ryan - Wexford

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 June 23 09:28 BST (UK) »
Have a look at the comments made about the following old photo, which someone claims to be Fahan Street and is then challenged by others as to whether it is or not...

https://www.facebook.com/Derryofthepast/photos/a.1777001242351259/1302218753162846/?type=3

Regardless of the photo, the point of interest is the following comment: "This is the bottom of the Bogside. I lived up the towards the top beside McBrearty's coal yard, 137 Bogside. That was our address but on official letters we were 137 Fahan Street!"

Offline InLiverpool

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 June 23 15:24 BST (UK) »
Heywood
I have checked on ancestry and Isabella’s 1st husband is likely to be Thomas Pinkerton and they had  2 daughters Mary Ann and Margaret.
Cheers
Jo
Walmsley - Liverpool
Cullen, Ryan - Wexford