Author Topic: Is this a record?  (Read 643 times)

Offline dicko99

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is this a record?
« on: Sunday 23 July 23 14:54 BST (UK) »
In Ancestry, someone just replied to a message I sent in October 2020! And that one was sent about a year after my first one in 2019 that produced no response...

I hope it turns out to be productive.

R.
Pratt, Smith, Jay, Wyatt - Essex
Dickens, Betteridge - London, Oxfordshire
Perrins, Bourne, Hickman, Fletcher - Aylesbury, Stoke upon Trent

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a record?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 July 23 17:27 BST (UK) »
No it's not a record,  I sent one, it was read by that tree owner and they havn''t replied yet must 6 + years now.

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 July 23 17:52 BST (UK) »
I have never had a person reply that long after they read a message  I sent them on Ancestry.

However I can beat you  before there was  Ancestry and everything was basically done by letter.
I sent a letter to my mothers cousin who I did not know and my Aunts and Uncles had not heard from in years. 
 It was dated July 6 1990 and I knew the address was right.  The letter asked for information about his mother etc.
He phoned me in  2010  (20 years later) and said he was calling about the letter I sent him.   I had to think about what letter I had sent him.   He did not give me the information I was looking for.   He just wanted to know one of my Aunts phone numbers. :)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 July 23 19:18 BST (UK) »
Back in the day when I first had an ancestry account, different to one I have now. I messaged someone on their boards, not messaging, this was 2002-3. 2007! he replied. We swapped info and emails and became firm friends. We have visited him and his wife in Florida three times and are due to go again next year. He is my husbands 3rd cousin.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 July 23 21:40 BST (UK) »
We sent a message in 2012 to a DNA match and they responded in 2020.

We thought we would leave responding until 2026.

Offline 4b2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 July 23 17:04 BST (UK) »
I just went through all of my Ancestry messages, putting ones of no value into the  archive. I found one someone sent me in 2012, which I must have missed, as I always respond to messages.

It's common for people to not respond for years, as many people only occasionally log in.

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 23:34 BST (UK) »
Fair to say I've given up on the dozen messages sent in 2005 that have still yet to be replied to.  I have one contact who will send scalding follow up messages if I don't respond within 12 hours but happily makes me wait a month before they acknowledge anything from me (and rarely answer the query I actually raised). I thought I'd made a breakthrough a few weeks ago and after a delay they casually responded they had made the same discovery months ago, five days of my life vanished working on that little task which I needn't have wasted had they spent two minutes sending a message. Just to finish the message they say Ancestry has assigned me to their paternal side but our shared matches (and there are around 40 of them), are all on their maternal side. It's only taken 8 months to reveal that little gem of information and I have my doubts anyway.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 23:44 BST (UK) »
We sent a message in 2012 to a DNA match and they responded in 2020.

We thought we would leave responding until 2026.

Did you both test in USA as Ancestry DNA tests started in US in 2012 but 2015 in UK etc.

https://isogg.org/wiki/AncestryDNA

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 July 23 23:27 BST (UK) »
There has been quite a lot of discussion about messages not being returned in this and other genealogy forums over the years. It is very disappointing and frustrating not to get a reply, but it is also possible to set one's expectations a bit on Ancestry. Firstly, after it is sent, your message will show whether it has been "delivered" or "read". If it only says "delivered" it is reasonable to assume that it has not been seen by the person you sent it to. So you may then want to know why.

I usually check the profile of the person I've sent my message to and it will show when they were last active on Ancestry. If it was several months ago, you know that, at the least, they don't use Ancestry much. If it says "more than a year" it can mean anything, including, most likely, that they are no longer a subscriber. I do appreciate that even if you no longer subscribe Ancestry may email your last known address to tell you about the message but addresses change. 

I took my test 2 years ago and found some good matches in the USA who I later found out had died since taking their tests, even before I messaged them (not knowing that at the time!). That's not surprising to me as a septuagenarian who expects his best matches to be of similar vintage (a good one too!).

There are of course all the other reasons previously mentioned here and elsewhere, and while it is indeed very frustrating not to get a reply from a match, we all need to bear in mind that agreeing to reply to messages is not something we swear to do when we take our tests, however illogical not doing so may appear to most of us. 

Tony