Author Topic: How big was Over Peover in early 19thC?  (Read 4791 times)

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
How big was Over Peover in early 19thC?
« on: Tuesday 10 August 04 15:58 BST (UK) »
Is it plausible for an inhabitant of Over Peover to have drifted towards the bright lights of Altrincham around the start of the 19th Century? There are two aspects to my question - firstly, was Over Peover a fairly small hamlet, in which case an econonic migrant is a distinct possibility and secondly, although I know that Altrincham is only a relatively short distance away, would anyone reading this consider it a plausible destination for the purpose?

The man in queston was Hugh Berry, born abt 1775, which is probably too early to see if there were still Berrys in Over Peover in the 1841 census, although Hugh himself was still alive at that time. All opinions will be gratefully assimilated - there's no right or wrong answer to this question !
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How big was Over Peover in early 19thC?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 16:33 BST (UK) »
Nick,

According to the information on the genuki site, Over Peover was part of the chapelry of Peover Superior, which comprised about four hamlets.  In 1801 the population of Peover Superior was 451!  So maybe about 100 for Over Peover.  Altrincham is not that far away.  What did he do for a living - that may provide you with a clue.  Did he go to help dig a canal for example?  In 1821, the population of Altrincham was 2302, so if he was looking for company, Altrincham was likely to be full of new faces!

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 August 04 17:44 BST (UK) »
Both of the sons of Hugh Berry that I have traced so far were butchers in the 1841 census, both living in Altrincham. That might suggest that they followed their dad into the trade. It's not inconceivable that someone would go from being an ag lab in the sticks to becoming a butcher.

I think what you are saying though is that it is a strong possibility, but obviously I will need further evidence. Thanks for your thoughts.
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 August 04 21:22 BST (UK) »
Nick,
William Berry, Butcher of Market Place, Altrincham is noted in Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory of 1834.
George Berry, Tailor of Market Place, Altrincham is noted in Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory of 1834.

Nothing listed for Berry at Altrincham on the 1791 British Universal Directory or for Knutsford(which is 4miles from Peover)

Sometimes "butchery" was done on a farm, it was not unusual for a farmer to be listed on a census as farmer or as a butcher. Could Hugh Berry have farmed? Peover(Higher and Lower) were, and still are, very rural areas.
odessa.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 August 04 07:59 BST (UK) »
I know that William Berry was one of Hugh's sons. Haven't come across George yet. His other butcher son John, who was about 12 years younger than William and thus too young to be owning his own shop in 1834. By 1841, he appears in the census with his own shop.

I think that your suggestion of Hugh moving from farming to butchery is the most reasonable interpretation of the facts, given what a large proportion of the population then was involved in agriculture. I'm hoping to trace the parish records for Peover Superior to find out more about Hugh's forebears.
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell