Author Topic: Owen - Needle in a haystack?  (Read 3953 times)

Offline happylady

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Owen - Needle in a haystack?
« on: Tuesday 10 August 04 18:55 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any bright ideas, please, as to how I can pin down my Owen family on Anglesey?  Every other person seems to have this surname!  The only definite information I have is
John David Owen, born 1870, who married Mary Elizabeth Jones, who was born 1874, probably in Ffestiniog.  John's father was also John and his mother was Margaret.  They owned a farm.

I was chasing the wrong Owen family (I think!) for about three years, having purchased the LDS 1881 census CD set and making some incorrect (I think!) assumptions, based on family names.

I think that John junior may have gone to sea at some stage.  He and Mary moved to south Wales (Tonypandy/Penygraig) in about 1903, probably for work. They had four children.  Three were born in Ffestiniog, and the last one in Penygraig.  I have no knowledge of John junior's siblings, other than that he had a sister called Catherine.  I think he may have worked in slate while living in Ffestiniog (very likely, as many men did!) but he worked in the pits when in the Rhondda.

Any bright ideas, please?
Owen, Thomas, Webb, Wilcox, Reynolds, Rees

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Owen - Needle in a haystack?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 August 04 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Happylady,

have you tried contacting the County Archives at Llangefni? With the info you have, you should be able to get some concrete details from them.

I've posted the contact details somewhere on the board before, but heres the link anyway:

http://www.anglesey.gov.uk/english/library/archives/archives.htm

I usually get an answer within a couple of days.

Good luck

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II