Author Topic: Evelyn Mavis (born Dyer -1919  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Evelyn Mavis (born Dyer -1919
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Where did little Evelyn go. Maybe a birth notice threw people off the scent that Ernest wasn't the father and she then gave Evelyn to someone else to raise. All hypothetical of course.

I think you have a good point here. Perhaps the birth notice was to end rumours.
Ernest's war file shows that Lena received an army letter dated in May 1919, saying that he was on a ship home due to arrive in June. I think she may have been in a panic to get back to NSW to meet him there. I wonder if she knew someone in WA who was willing to take the baby and raise her as their own.

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 10:40 GMT (UK) »

Could Evelyn have been put into an orphanage in WA before her mother left for NSW? Perhaps it's worth checking orphanages in the area where she was born.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 21:39 GMT (UK) »
I would be trying to have a very close look at the exact whereabouts of Lena's mother and Lena's sister at the time of Ernest's imminent return to Australia.

Any new infant additions to their families?

This kind of handover was a common solution to complicated situations as the kind Lena found herself in.

Her family seem to have remained in WA.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 22:40 GMT (UK) »
No records for Evelyn like there was for Edna, and a birth notice for Evelyn as well so shows the family would have known about her. I feel the family or close friend has stepped in.

I would be interested to know when Evelyn's birth was registered and who registered it.

What was Edna's date of birth in 1917?

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Just for interests sake

The Manganese Record, Peak Hill, Nullagine and Marble Bar Gazette (Meekatharra, WA : 1928 - 1941)  Fri 29 Mar 1940

Mrs Dyer and daughter, Eiva, leave by Sunday's train for their home inN.S.W. Mrs Dyer has been on an extended visit to her mother, Mrs Richter, and to her sister. Mrs J. Satchell, of Wiluna All friends wish them a safe trip home.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/233187461?searchTerm=Satchell%20dyer

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 30 November 23 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Couple of articles just out of interest if you haven't already seen them.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/233260909

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/203519782

Offline AlKeallz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 02 December 23 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Evelyn's birth was registered by Lena and she would have given husband Ernest as father.

I know that Lena was staying in Subiaco area and was working as a waitress before Evelyn's birth.

I am not sure how to go about checking Orphanages but worth a try. Maybe she was made a ward of state as was Edna before her adoption in WA, however if Evelyn was made a ward she would show up in WA adoption records. But this is not the case as no WA adoption records exist for her.

as for family, i know for sure that Evelyn was not taken in by them. Lena's sister Ida lived in Wiluna and had young children of her own. Ida's second daughter Dot who is still alive and with whom I have been in contact and discussed re this matter, knew nothing of either Edna or Evelyn.

as for friends, maybe someone did take her on, and if this is the case why does she not show up in some record or other.

as Lena did the right thing with Edna's adoption why not Evelyn, and as there is no WA records of her then she may have taken her back to NSW where she had quite a few other Dyer families for support. But again having a good ancestry record of them there appears to be no extra children associated with there lines.

My grandmother Lena was a very determined and independent person, as she brought up her legitimate children in NSW after the death of husband Ernest who died 1925. My mother was 2 years old at the time. Grandmother Lena lived in NSW in and around Marrickville and Petersham for the rest of her life.

my quest continues for Evelyn, I only want to find out about her hoping she had a good life, maybe family. I understand that her family either don't know about her past or wish not to disclose or want to pursue her past and i respect that. Here is hoping they to, like me, would like to know there ancestry.

Offline AlKeallz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 02 December 23 03:27 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for articles. the first very interesting.

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 02 December 23 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Could Evelyn have been raised by someone associated with her biological father? This would of course be difficult to know as his names is unknown.