Author Topic: Evelyn Mavis (born Dyer -1919  (Read 2519 times)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Evelyn Mavis (born Dyer -1919
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 02 December 23 05:49 GMT (UK) »

as Lena did the right thing with Edna's adoption why not Evelyn,

Lena obviously cared about the girls and by noting them as previous issue they certainly weren't forgotten by her. Just because there is no record for Evelyn that can be found doesn't mean Lena didn't do the right thing, she may have just went a different way about it. And not to be forgotten that some babies were raised by other people without paperwork involved and probably more so in war years.

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 02 December 23 05:53 GMT (UK) »

Lena obviously cared about the girls and by noting them as previous issue they certainly weren't forgotten by her. Just because there is no record for Evelyn that can be found doesn't mean Lena didn't do the right thing, she may have just went a different way about it. And not to be forgotten that some babies were raised by other people without paperwork involved and probably more so in war years.
I agree with you Giblet. I also feel that time was running out for her as she had to return to NSW to meet up with her husband. It's likely that a good home was found for Evelyn; there just wasn't time for the paperwork to be done.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 02 December 23 06:14 GMT (UK) »

I agree with you Giblet. I also feel that time was running out for her as she had to return to NSW to meet up with her husband. It's likely that a good home was found for Evelyn; there just wasn't time for the paperwork to be done.

In 1937 [ England] my father was handed to his grandparents as a baby to raise and no paperwork. She just dropped him off saying a fella wanted to marry her but didn't want someone else's kid. It wasn't until his grandmother died that he learnt she was his grandma and not his mother, he was 14 then. His mother then turned up and wanted him back his grandad told her off so dad got to stay. Long story but thats the short of it  ;D No paperwork no official records.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 02 December 23 06:44 GMT (UK) »
1918 electoral reg
Lena Florence Dyer , Dampier Western Australia

I don't have access so can't get the address. Wondering who else lived there but probably can't do an address search  ???

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 02 December 23 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Can i please have the date of birth for Edna? I found this and im wondering if she may have been Ernest's after all?? OR there may be two E Dyer's.

Apparently Ernest was home on leave before leaving for the front. IF Edna was born in the first part of the new year [1917] he could well be her father.

The Northam Advertiser (WA : 1895 - 1955) 
Sat 5 Aug 1916

On Thursday evening a pleasant little function was held at the residence of Mrs. D. P. Wilson, Dke-street, the occasion being a farewell dinner to Privates Percy Sullivan and E. Dyer, who are now on their long leave and anticipate leaving for the front at an early date. etc etc

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/211697517

I'll go back and read his military file again.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 02 December 23 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Joined 27th March 1916

Embarked at Freemantle 7 August 1916

So need Edna's date of birth, or even month of birth to see if its possible she was Ernest's baby.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 02 December 23 07:30 GMT (UK) »
1918 electoral reg
Lena Florence Dyer , Dampier Western Australia

I don't have access so can't get the address. Wondering who else lived there but probably can't do an address search  ???

This is her Mt Pleasant, Meekatharra address the district  where the rolls show, a number of PRITCHARDs lived...her mother's family. And her mother, Mrs RICHTER

When Lena's uncle died, this notice was placed.
Pritchard relatives at Meekatharra
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/203556548

Lena it seems remained there during her husband's absence.

as for family, i know for sure that Evelyn was not taken in by them. Lena's sister Ida lived in Wiluna and had young children of her own. Ida's second daughter XXX who is still alive and with whom I have been in contact and discussed re this matter, knew nothing of either Edna or Evelyn

Death notice of James Valentine SATCHELL lists his children youngest. Usually listed in birth order.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/49064346?searchTerm=%22ida%20satchell%22

Registered to 1921 in WA to Ida and James SATCHELL

Ada 1915, Died 1915
Ivy May 1916
Elsie Annie 1919
Edward James 1921

Wiluna is about 100 kilometers from Meekatharra

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 02 December 23 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue  :)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 03 December 23 00:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm stuck, i can't find anything else that may help.

MY take on it all is that Lena fell pregnant whilst Ernest was home on leave and never told him about the baby, due to hardships with war and having to support herself and kids with working she gave the baby [Edna] up for adoption. Hence the letter from her to the adoption agency for it to be kept private as Ernest was not aware.

Evelyn can't be Ernest's baby going by his military records, gave the baby up to a relative or someone else to raise without a paper trail. I would suggest whoever raised Evelyn may have changed her name as i'm unable to find anything on a Evelyn Mavis using no surname searches. Tho is interesting that there was a birth announcement in the paper.

The last 2 births in NSW state previous issue, would be interesting if Ernest had signed his name on the original handwritten registration. IF he had he would have then been aware of the previous issue.