Author Topic: Hunter from York  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Hunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hunter from York
« on: Tuesday 10 August 04 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone help,  I am looking for the birth records for Alexander Hunter born in York c 1850.

I have found him on 1881 living in Wakefield, 1891 census with his wife and children living in York (civil parish St Cuthberts)  and 1901 living at 16 Jewbury in York,  he married his wife Mary (Scanlon) in Bradford in 1874.

His occupation was tailor.  One of my older relatives seems to recall that "he was brought up by Nuns".

As a beginner at this game I wondered if anyone can advise me,  I am going to try to obtain a copy of the marriage certificate, can anyone tell me how much info will be on that from the year 1874.

Hope you can help

Thanks

Val ???
Atkinson, Hunter, Scanlon, Bell, Heptinstall, Evans, Hickin, Mawby, Chapman, Marples, Fay

Offline wobbly

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter from York
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 August 04 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Val,

Well I suppose it all depends what the bridal pair and witnesses told the person who married them, but I have just received a marriage cert from about a relation who married in 1875, and on it is the following:

Place where marriage was solemnized(actual name of church etc), the county, the number in register book, full date of marriage, forename(s) and surname(s) of groom, age at marriage, condition(bachelor,widower), Rank or profession, Residence at time of marriage, Father's name and surname, Rank or profession of grooms' father.

The same goes for the bride.

The bridal pair had to sign the register, to agree to get married!, sometimes you get their mark(more clues), type of marriage, ie Primitive methodist, church of England etc, name of regisrar etc. Then there are the witnesses, which can give you name of other relations at time.

Hope this helps.

Wobbly
Yorkshire: Readman, Redman , Bowser(Leeds,Scarborough, Selby & Hull), Dufton(Selby, Leeds) Durham: Sowerby. Lincolnshire; Readman, Doughty, Sneath, Musson, Clayton. Cambridgeshire: Belding

Offline Hunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 August 04 17:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Wobbly

Well it's certainly worth a try, I'll contact the register office tomorrow. Ill let you know how I go on.

Regards
Val
Atkinson, Hunter, Scanlon, Bell, Heptinstall, Evans, Hickin, Mawby, Chapman, Marples, Fay

Offline Hunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 August 04 12:46 BST (UK) »
 ???

Hi

I have now received the marriage certificate for Alexander Hunter and Mary Scanlon, unfortunately his Father is not named, should I assume he is deceased or unknown?

I do have an address for him at the time which is 44 Hardy Street Bowling.

The wedding date is 16/5/1874

I will keep searching for the birth record for Alexander, I am beginning to think that he may have been brought up in care, as a family member referred to someone once saying that he had been brought up by Nuns.

Thanks for your help so far...

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 August 04 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hello there.

I have looked for your Alexander Hunter, in the birth index's
1849   1850    1852   1853 and 1854 with no joy, I am afraid,
of any one being born in York, or surrounding area.

There are a number in the London area, but it definitely states, on the 1881 and 1891 census that he was born in York.

I am hoping to go through,  to do some "checking"  shortly, if
you haven't got sorted I will have a look on the microfiches'.

I have just noticed that I didn't check for 1851. I will do it now, and get back to you if I find anything

Kind regards
JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 August 04 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hello again.

I have just checked 1851, as promised.

I have found a  Alexander Hunter, born in Hull.

It is possible that he may have been born and registered there,and then been for what ever reason, taken to York to be brought up in a Catholic institution of some kind. Perhaps his mother died soon after his birth?

Any way the details are as follows

Alexander Hunter. Oct/Nov/Dec quarter 1851. Vol. xxii page 492
Hull district. The page is very worn, but I am sure that is the page  number.

hope this leads you some where

JeannieR

Offline Hunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 August 04 11:10 BST (UK) »
 :D

Thank you so much JeannieR,  I had Alexander as c1853 as he married in 1874.  I had come across some Hunters at Hull on later census but didn't explore as every other record for him indicated as being born in York. 

This is great, I will try to obtain the birth certificate now, which should at least have some info on his mother.

Alexander married in Bradford in the Catholic Church, (I hadn't realised that my family had once been practicing Catholics), this ties in with the Catholic Institution idea.

Another favour, do you know whether records are available for such places, and where do I start looking?

Thanks so much for your interest and help,

Must go (I am late for work!) I was warned that this game is quite addictive!

Val

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 August 04 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Val.

Yes!!!  it is definitely addictive.

The best place that I can think of, at the moment, is the Borthwick Institute in York.it may be woth giving them a ring,
on 01904 321166 (archive inquiries).

I am sure that records will survive, as that was the task of the
nun's, but at this moment, I am not certain how to go about it.

Some where in my Genealogy magazines, there is an article about tracing Catholic ancestors, I will try and find it, and if there is anything relevant, I will let you know.

Apparently, there was quite an influx of Irish Catholics, to York, at about this time, escaping the potato famine. Most put down their religion down as catholic, but weren't actually practising,
it was usually the gentry that practised, the mass etc, and people under their wing.

If I can find out anythging else I will be back in touch.

JeannieR

Offline Hunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 August 04 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi JeannieR

Thought I would let you know that my Alexander Hunter, who you traced in Hull does have a mammy and a daddy!

Father is Alexander and Mother is Margaret formerly Davison. 

Alexander was born at 11 Anne Street Myton Hull 12/11/1851.

I have asked for a look up for the 1851 census for Hull so that I can find any other family members.

As Alexander's parents were probably born before 1837 I would like advice on where to start looking for information about them.

Thanks again

Val