Author Topic: Servant at Home? Meaning?  (Read 313 times)

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Servant at Home? Meaning?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 February 24 10:00 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor who was recorded in the home of her grandparents, with the occupation of Servant. She was aged just 10!

Sadly she lived a short life, as she died following childbirth at the age of 21.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 February 24 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Definitely not nice LM.  It made me think as in my younger days I knew two women who were domestic abuse victims.  One had had a breakdown and had gone into an asylum in the 1930s.  She was there until her death in the 1980s.
The other lost all her hair through the stress but stayed with her husband until her death.  I think back in the day people thought along the lines of you don't interfere and that it was all between husband and wife.  Thankfully, I think life is better now and I agree with posters I have seen stating abuse is everybodys business.
The latter man was a miner who my Dad knew.  He said the man was arrogant and would boast of his bullying and all the miners hated him but no one thought to interfere at the time.

Oh that is so sad Sandra.  I have a great x 2 Grandmother who had a 14 year old servant.  I wondered at this because she was of mining stock so not a lot of money there.  But when I got her death cert it seems she died of senile decay.  So I think perhaps a son may have hired the girl to keep an eye on her rather than have her sent to a workhouse where the elderly could end up.
I have recently read an interesting book about servants called 'Mrs Woolf and the servants' - non fiction.  It seems some servants were known as slavies!  Working for just board and lodging and no pay!! :o
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 February 24 10:31 GMT (UK) »
In the main I think things have changed, thank God.  LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London