Author Topic: Henry Edward Stratford, New South Wales (d. 1890)  (Read 2139 times)

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Edward Stratford, New South Wales (d. 1890)
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 20:09 BST (UK) »
I suppose this is Mary Arundell's death record at Broockwood Hospital, Woking.

Name-Adm.date-Previous abode-Discharge date-Death date-Case number-Reference number-Page(s)

Arundell, Mary-13 Dec 1875-Hoxton House-n/a-6 Oct 1876-n/a-3043/5/9/2/7-65

https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/184526/Brookwood-Hospital-Woking-Female-case-books-1867-1900-A-M.pdf

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 21:56 BST (UK) »
Henry and Chas Stratford in Oct 1858, same age (27)  ??? going to Queensland  ???

(of course they could be other people, twin brothers, or cousins...  ::))

Outwards Passengers from Victoria 1852-1915

"id","Ship name","Departure month","Departure year","Ships master","Alternate master","Destination","Film Ref month","Film Ref year","Family name","Given name","Age","Page"

198589,"KEYSTONE","OCT",1858,"KNIGHT G W",,"Keppel Bay", "Oct", 1858, STRATFORD, "HENRY", "27", "004"

198590,"KEYSTONE","OCT",1858,"KNIGHT G W",,"Keppel Bay", "Oct", 1858, STRATFORD, "CHAS", "27", "004"

https://discover.data.vic.gov.au/dataset/outwards-passengers-from-victoria-1852-1915 (click 'Explore', then 'Download')

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 00:42 BST (UK) »
Henry and Charles Stratford were prpbably heading to the Fitzroy Gold-Fields.

The Age (Melbourne), 7 Oct 1858, page 1, Advertising

FITZROY GOLD-FIELDS - For Keppel Bay. - The splendid A 1 American clipper ship, KEYSTONE, 1500 tons burthen, G. W. Knight, commander will sail for the above port with despatch, landing passengers at Rockhampton.

THE SPECTATOR. January 1, 1859.

"Australia. - Advices from Sydney to the 15th October have come to hand. The principal intelligence is a description of the excitement caused by the reported discovery of gol on the Fitroy river, and the result. It seems a man found some gold ; the labourers from Port  Curtis were the first in the field ; rumour magnified the discovery, and Sydney was thrown into a ferment. Nor was the fever confined to Sydney,. the Victoria diggers caught the infrection, rushed off in hundreds.The route to the Fitzroy gold-field was by water nearly all the way, and upwards of 6000 persons soon congregated on the spot. They were doomed to disappointment (...)"

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 04:34 BST (UK) »

And a very intriguing one:

Choteau, Montana (born in Collier, Florida, USA) -  ???

I can't see any deaths in Montana for a child of Mason Gerard STRATFORD on the family tree of OUR FAMILY HISTORY.  :-\

Ok, think I've found the reference now. I don't really understand how the Ancestry algorithm works, but when I search "Public Member Trees" with surname STRATFORD and birthplace Collier, Florida with death place Choteaux, Montana, it brings up this entry on the tree of OUR FAMILY HISTORY (and a few other trees, so all copying from one another I assume):

Byron STRATFORD
Birth   1839 Naples, Collier, Florida, USA
Death   1865 Tunis, Chouteau, Montana, USA

But when I click on the entry for Bryon STRATFORD it just has birth 1839  Naples and death 1865 Tunis Bay.

In any case, the USA references are clearly wrong.  ::)

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 15:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, maddy!

I suppose the person who added 'Naples' and 'Tunis' didn't bother to check which Naples and Tunis, and the algorithm chose the USA locations as a default thing?

Anyway... IMPORTANT UPDATE

I've got a reply from the office of St. Mary's Church, Balmain, NSW, and the information has cleared the confusion.

Thanks to Merlin for his her suggestion, and to Suzanne who kindly provided the image of the marriage record.

Henry Edward Stratford was the son of William Samuel Stratford, Lieutenant in the Royal Navy and well known astronomer and member of the Royal Society, and Martha Daniel.

Although William Samuel's biography has been published by many sources, little was disclosed about his family. I've managed to find some of his offspring, but Henry is only mentioned in one source (so far). I'm updating this information on FamilySearch.

Henry Edward was born around 1825, probably at Islington. His siblings were (so far) William Sydney (1816), Charles Alfred (1836), Ellen, Martha (1832), and William Lee (1834-1875). William Lee died at Port Lytleton, New Zealand.

The probable reason why he named his first son Mason Gerard Stratford, is that his wife, Wilhelmina Lyne Stratford was related to Lady Elizabeth, the daughter of John Stratford the 3rd Earl of Aldborough.

The question now is, what happened to EDWARD STRATFORD after his arrival at Port Philip, Victoria, in Nov 1852, aged 18 (as per Rip Van Winkle passenger's list), or 21 (as per arrival at Port Philip), or 20 (as per the newspapers' clippings of the previous year regarding the Stratords affair at Leghorn)?

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 16:48 BST (UK) »
Anyway... IMPORTANT UPDATE
I've got a reply from the office of St. Mary's Church, Balmain, NSW, and the information has cleared the confusion.

Thanks to Merlin for his suggestion, and to Suzanne who kindly provided the image of the marriage record.

Merlin is a female ;)  My handle is my cat's name :D
Wonderful to hear that Suzanne Stebbings from St Mary's was able to help you.
I was pretty sure she would answer after being so busy at the church during Easter.

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 16:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Merlin!

I love your cat's name! Mine are Chinchilla (a male) and Patchouli (a female, as well  ;D).

Yes, Susanne was most helpful, if you ever meet her, give her my best wishes!

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 17:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Merlin!

I love your cat's name! Mine are Chinchilla (a male) and Patchouli (a female, as well  ;D).

Merlin is actually a male Chinchilla :D

Offline PatLac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 17:09 BST (UK) »
I'm inclined to shift the investigation to New Zealand (again).

There was a mining contractor at Canvastown named Edward Stratford (Page 3, Advertisements, Column 2, b, Pelorus Guardian and Miners' Advocate., Volume 10, Issue 79, 10 October 1899), his third son was Henry Edward Stratford (NOTES FROM CANVASTOWN, Pelorus Guardian and Miners' Advocate., Volume 29, Issue 61, 7 August 1917, Page 4).

One family notice says Edward Stratford's wife Sarah Amelia died in 1919, aged 54 (Page 4 Advertisements Column 4, Marlborough Express, Volume LIII, Issue 207, 2 September 1919), but the NZ BDM website says Sarah Amelia Springall was married to Edmund Hill Stratford and had 9 children  ???

There's another Edward Stratford who lived at Te Arai, had a brother Henry (ANOTHER FIRE AT TE ARAI. Daily Southern Cross, Volume XXVI, Issue 4158, 10 December 1870, Page 3), and played cricket (TE ARAI: CRICKET MATCH. (FROM A CORRESPONDENT.), Daily Southern Cross, Volume XXVI, Issue 3932, 30 March 1870, Page 4).

Edward Stratford of Blenheim WAIRAU REVISION COURT,Marlborough Express, Volume XIV, Issue 1139, 4 June 1879, Page 6).

Edward Stratford of Kaimata (PERSONAL., Grey River Argus, 5 October 1911, Page 5).

Edward Stratford (second engineer) who was supposed to have drowned after the wreck of the Taiaroa (LATEST., Cromwell Argus, Volume XVIII, Issue 887, 13 April 1886, Page 2). EDIT: E. T. Stratford and the magistrate responsible for the case was... Mr. Stratford (Augustus Henry Aldborough).

And these are the ones who made the news, so there's a lot of work ahead. Should I start another topic on the New Zealand section?  ???