Author Topic: Looking for a next step  (Read 706 times)

Offline GilchristHolmes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for a next step
« on: Monday 01 April 24 17:48 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find any kind of information for my grandfathers family. I know he moved to US Massachusetts when he was 7 from Scotland. He was born in Clydebank, I have all the information for his parents but I get stuck with his sets of grandparents. He was never one to talk about his family or his past unfortunately and I wasn’t into ancestry at the time so I didn’t even think to ask him anything. Thankfully, ScotlandsPeople has been super helpful with records like birth and marriage records. But I haven’t been able to find anything as far as his grandparents parents/families. I search ancestry using the maiden names of both of his grandmothers that are listed in the records from Scotland’s people and I find absolutely nothing. Here’s what I have:

John Gilchrist Jr (my grandpa-no siblings) 1922-2009
Mother-Margaret Turner
Father- John Gilchrist Sr

Margaret’s Parents:
Father - Robert Turner
Mother- Mary Heany

John Sr.s Parents:
Mother: Sarah Holmes
Father: Peter Gilchrist

This is where I get stuck, I found the marriage record for Sarah Holmes and Peter Gilchrist and all of the information matches so I know it’s them. But I can’t find anything on their parents.

Peters parents:
Father: James Gilchrist
Mother: Elizabeth Feenie

Sarah’s parents:
Father: John Holmes
Mother: Elizabeth Boylan

Any idea where I start?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a next step
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 21:04 BST (UK) »
Start by forgetting about Ancestry. It won't tell you everything you want to know. It might come in handy for looking up census transcriptions but it doesn't have all the birth, marriage and death information.

You need to use Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

A Scottish marriage certificate from 1855 onwards tells you the full names of the parents of the couple, including their mother's maiden surname.

John Gilchrist and Margaret Turner were married in Old Kilpatrick in 1918
Robert Turner and Mary Henny were married in Gorbals in 1875
Peter Gilchrist and Sarah Holmes were married in Dennistoun in 1887

The next generation back must have married before the start of civil registration in 1855.

So the next port of call is the census. Robert and Mary should be in the 1881 census, and you can view the transcription made by the Latter-Day Saints free of charge at Scotland's People.

Peter Gilchrist, 26, born England is in the 1891 census at 46 James Street, Glasgow, with wife Sarah, 25, born Glasgow, and sons James and Peter, also born in Glasgow.

From FreeBMD https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl James Gilchrist and Elizabeth Finney were married in Liverpool in 1862. Their son Peter was born in 1863 in Birkenhead. They must then have moved to Scotland because they had James in 1865 then Rose in 1869 and another Rose in 1870, all in Glasgow. All three of these children died in infancy.

In 1871 James Gilchrist, 29, born Glasgow, is in Glasgow with wife Elizabeth, 29, born in Ireland, and Peter, 8, born England. There are also two daughters, Mary and Lizzie, both aged 11, born Glasgow. So it may be that James had been married before. Or they could be illegitimate children of either Peter or Elizabeth.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GilchristHolmes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 22:37 BST (UK) »
This is great information!! Thank you so much!

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 23:09 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.  ;)

From FreeBMD https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl James Gilchrist and Elizabeth Finney were married in Liverpool in 1862.

MARRIAGE 21 Sept 1862 St Nicholas Liverpool
James Gilchrist (age - minor) bachelor, labourer. Father - Peter Gilchrist – spinner
Elizabeth Finney (age-full) spinster, Father – Peter Finney Labourer

This is a possible census for James with father Peter, a spinner.
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a150247f4040b9d6e0c4c15/peter-gilchrist-1851-lanarkshire-barony-1806-?locale=en

https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a14eaa0f4040b9d6ef1bf74/peter-gilchrist-1841-lanarkshire-barony-1807-?locale=en
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 01:22 BST (UK) »

Sarah’s parents:
Father: John Holmes
Mother: Elizabeth Boylan

I suspect that Sarah was illegitimate.

I would have a look at this birth registration.
BOYLAND,  SARAH HOLMES
644 / 2 / 2092
HIGH CHURCH, Glasgow
Mother - Elizabeth Boyland

From Sarah's marriage record what do you have for ??
Addresses,
names of witnesses,
occupations of bride and
occupations of her parents.....

Those details might help to find Sarah in the census. I can see a possible for her with the surname Boyland.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 22:03 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if you need further information, but please use the reply button to let us know if this has been of use.

It looks like you have lots of Irish ancestors.
Robert Turner was born in Ireland, and you will find him in the Scottish census with his mother Agnes.

Mary Henny (Heany / Henney/ Hainey) was born in Glasgow. Check for her parents' names on the marriage certificate. I think they might have been James Henney and Mary Clark - both from Ireland.
I can post further details if required.

Offline GilchristHolmes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 22:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much! All of the information I have been getting is amazing! I’ve been able to further my research!!

Offline GilchristHolmes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 22:25 BST (UK) »
This is the information I have from Sarah’s marriage record.They were married at 15 Westercraigs? In Dennistoun 

Peter’s Address was 12 East Hill st in Glasgow. His witness was William Murray MacKay (minister)

Sarah’s address was 16 East Hill St in Glasgow. Her witnesses were Samuel Jollier and Margaret Taylor.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 22:26 BST (UK) »
what occupations for Sarah and her parents?