Author Topic: Cannot find a Guernsey marriage anywhere - unusual surname, can you find it?!  (Read 5637 times)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello,

I am researching Lawrence LOVE, a Scottish merchant navy engineer born in Ayr, but Ancestry users have him married to an Eliza Lucy (Lilly) QERIPEL / QUERIPEL. I cannot find their marriage anywhere and nobody has it on Ancestry. I've also tried FindMyPast, F/S, Freebmd, and Scotland'sPeople.

As she was born in Guernsey, I wonder if anyone can find their marriage there please? I am not familiar with those records; I have tried via F/S etc, but it says I have to go to one of their centres.

They were shown separately as singles on the 1881 census (she as a servant in Guernsey, him as a boarder in Glasgow) but enumerated as a married couple on the 1891 census, so marriage must have been between 1881 and 1891.

I know he died in 1899; I do not need any info on that.
I have tried and so far failed to find any mention of Eliza for the 1911 census in case it gave clues - possible record of her in a Portsmouth asylum.

Can anyone find their marriage please?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find a Guernsey marriage anywhere - unusual surname, can you find it?!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 17:49 BST (UK) »
Guernsey isn't part of England, GB or UK.
So you need the records held in Guernsey.

Records will likely be at The Priaulx Library.
https://www.priaulxlibrary.co.uk/collections/family-history
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find a Guernsey marriage anywhere - unusual surname, can you find it?!
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 18:03 BST (UK) »
Some years ago, I needed Jersey records.
(Yes! I know Jersey and Guernsey are separate states)

I found it worthwhile to pay for a local researcher.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 18:33 BST (UK) »
Doesn't help you now but it looks like they be available at some stage, probably on Findmypast.
Cathy
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-68339887
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 19:38 BST (UK) »
There's a few Guernsey family history groups on Facebook.
It might be worth asking on there. You never know,  some kind person may be willing to help.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 20:19 BST (UK) »
There's a few Guernsey family history groups on Facebook.
It might be worth asking on there. You never know,  some kind person may be willing to help.

Good idea, thanks

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 10:00 BST (UK) »

I have tried and so far failed to find any mention of Eliza for the 1911 census in case it gave clues - possible record of her in a Portsmouth asylum.

You did find the right 1911 census for Eliza.
Very shortly after her husband's ship went missing, Eliza gave birth to another child, Stella May.
On this birth record, Eliza gives her full name as Eliza Lucy Alice Love.  See attached.

Eliza Lucy Alice Love died in the "lunatic asylum" in 1921.  See attached.  She could have been seeking medical help, as she was fighting TB for years.

So this poor woman's life, in short, was losing a 4 yr old in 1893 (Lilly Lindsey), waiting "forever" in 1899 to find her husband was lost at sea followed almost immediately by giving birth to a daughter that died very soon after, losing both sons to orphanages, (and not even the same orphanage), then suffering for years with TB until it killed her.   

The daughter that did remain with her on the 1901 census, Lilian Queenie Love, seems to be this one:  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7431627 , in the British Women's Royal Naval Service from 1918 - 1919.  If you register there, you can download it for free.  There is not much on it, except she lists a friend as her next of kin.  That could hint at her mom being very sick at the time.

In 1901, the oldest son, Lawrence Francis Love, was in a British Orphan Asylum in Slough, Bucks.
This site describes it :  https://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/BritishOrphan/
About 2/3 of the way down on that link, it gives the object of the orphanage, and mentions that for entry, among other things, the marriage certificate of the parents must be produced, so at least you know there was a marriage!