Author Topic: 1841 Census - Middlesbrough/Yarm  (Read 1130 times)

Offline PER

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1841 Census - Middlesbrough/Yarm
« on: Sunday 11 September 05 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Would anyone be able to undertake a lookup on the 1841 census for Middlesbrough for Mary Ann Gray b. 29 May 1839, Middlesbrough daughter of James Gray and Sarah Helman. I am ideally trying to find out when and where her parents were born and if she had any siblings.

In 1871 they were living at Market Place, Middlesbrough. I have been unable to find the family on the earlier census and Mary's birth certificate does not give a more detailed place but hopefully Middlesbrough was fairly small back then  ;) . It is also possible they could be in Yarm as this is teh sub district on the birth certificate.

Kind Regards

Paula
Check out my surname interests, locations and gedmatch ref at - https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Round-218 covering most county's in England; also Nova Scotia, Canada and Switzerland.

Offline REEDY

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census - Middlesbrough/Yarm
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 14:07 BST (UK) »
I have checked the 1841 census for Yarm and your family are not there in 1841 sorry.
Reedy
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Brown,Jude,Hubbard,Bailey,Anderson Norfolk
Dalton,French,Elwes Lincolnshire
Reed,Mcquillan,Sullivan,Ruan Ireland
Hollingworth,Watson,Newill Leeds
English,Bryant,Powell,Lee
Beeby,Robson
Ellar,Pryer,Ingledew
Dearing,Hailer,Simpson

Offline PER

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 07:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Reedy, I guess they are not where they are supposed to be. ??? Hopefully it wont be too long before the 1841 comes online so i can search the whole area.

Thanks again

Paula
Check out my surname interests, locations and gedmatch ref at - https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Round-218 covering most county's in England; also Nova Scotia, Canada and Switzerland.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 08:56 BST (UK) »
1851 index for Middlesbrough HO 107 2383 F353
James Gray 53 b Sandsend
Sarah 53 b Whitby
Mary 13 b Middlesbro
This is from an index published by the Cleveland FHS.  There are no other details
Andrea

Offline PER

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 21:20 BST (UK) »
Wow Thanks Andrea,

This will really help in my research as i now know where to look for the parish records.

Thanks again

Paula ;D

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 October 05 08:48 BST (UK) »
Glad to help.  Actually the 1841 would not have helped much as all ages above 15 were rounded down to the nearest 5 and the place of birth is only given as in the county of residence or not.    It might be worth looking at the actual image of the 1851 as that will give his occupation.
Andrea

Offline PER

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 October 05 22:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Andrea, I will certainly take a look at 1851 as ancestry say it should be online before xmas which will be great

Paula