Author Topic: What free Family History Tree builder software would you recommend?  (Read 1650 times)

Offline olives

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What free Family History Tree builder software would you recommend?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 May 24 18:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

Iíve also seen that following a free trial with Genes Reunited they do offer a very reasonable monthly payment - unlike Ancestry or FindMyPast.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 May 24 21:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

Iíve also seen that following a free trial with Genes Reunited they do offer a very reasonable monthly payment - unlike Ancestry or FindMyPast.

You are welcome.

If you are thinking about subscribing try ringing Ancestry and offer £89.99 for a Worldwide subscription for 12 months, that is what I pay.

Find My Past are pretty useless at giving a significant discount.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 10 June 24 22:25 BST (UK) »
I have been using Family Historian, now at V7, since V3. It is fully GEDCOM compliant, and a very powerful and flexible program. It might seem a bit daunting to start with, but there is an excellent user group with lots of tutorials and videos for those just starting. I have tried many others, but I would now not move from FH. As with most pieces of powerful software, it pays back to get to know it gradually, and use the sample database and tutorials first.

In addition to the standard program, which you can download a trial for free, there is the ability to write your own "add-ins", and there is a brilliant companion program called Ancestral Sources, that makes adding BMD and census entries a breeze. You can set Ancestry or FindMyPast to be a browser interface (if you wish, I personally don't bother). It can cope with families from just a few people to families of many thousands. It is also a UK written piece of software which, if you are UK based, helps. I believe it is multilingual, but I've never needed to check that out. It's media handling is brilliant. It has to-do lists and the ability to create research notes to help organise your research. It's handling of sources is good, but you do need to make some fairly basic decisions on how to record and use sources first, as they can be a pain to change later on - this from experience.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline olives

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 09:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  Iíll take a look 👍

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 11:45 BST (UK) »
Probably worth adding that ones choice of software can be dependent upon the workflow that you use in your Genealogical research.

Software on a PC or Mac work great with some easier to use than others.

To get the best out of them requires the software to be the main repository for your research and to use Ancestry/FindMyPast/familysearch & other searching from within the Software.

If like me and research the comfy way via my iPad lounging on our sofa then using software as it is intended does not work particularly well.

Iíll explain further, we have our Main Family Trees residing on Ancestry.

I then periodically use the Tree Share feature of Roots Magic to update the Trees that are located on my PC, I error check the additions and Backup the tree in the Roots Magic software.  So I use Roots Magic as a Backup as its Tree Share copies all citations, documents, media etc into the software, not all software does this, in that many only accept a Gedcom file and you will need to manually add media and documents to the resulting family tree within the software.

Being neurotic about having IT problems we also have Family Tree Maker on our MacBook and once Roots Magic has done its syncing with Ancestry on my PC I switch to the MacBook and sync to FTM.  Hence my neurotic IT OCD problem is catered for.

Hence consider just how you are going to research before shelling out hard earned cash on software.

Offline olives

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Biggles50.  Thatís a lot to think about.

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 12:20 BST (UK) »
Probably worth adding that ones choice of software can be dependent upon the workflow that you use in your Genealogical research.

It's interesting to hear how others work. For myself I keep my trees on Family Tree Maker only. I don't sync with Ancestry.

But I do have FTM on more than one computer - so I keep my FTM family files on cloud storage synced to local copies on each computer. My desktop computer has a backup external hard drive which I can use if needed to get back to a tree version from any time in the past.

I never search from within FTM - I always go directly to ancestry, findmypast etc and add everything manually to FTM. I like to be in control.

The Change Log feature of FTM I find is redundant for me and it does cause an irritating problem. The family tree file size continually grows as you make more and more changes. Mine became excessively large which made cloud syncing slow. So I now frequently (once a month?) reduce the file to its initial size by using export and restore. Takes about twenty minutes. This works because export doesn't include the change log. None of this would be needed if you were able to specify the number of changes to keep in the log. I could drone on and on about this but I'll stop now.

Martin

Offline olives

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 15:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Martin.