Author Topic: help with service number record  (Read 171 times)

Offline derek22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help with service number record
« on: Saturday 11 May 24 18:54 BST (UK) »
 hope someone may be able to help me, I am trying to confirm some details of my fathers service in WW2, in the RAF, where I know he served in Palestine and Egypt. I have been a member here for over 15 years, but have changed email, and have found it easier to register again as a new user! I believe my fathers service number was 2254069, his name is Dennis Harding. I wondered i anyone with a subscription to forces war records could kindly confirm any of this for me, as I cant really afford to use the money on a subscription if i'm not correct, as I am now on state pension only. I'll be happy to subscribe if i'm right, and can glean any more information from there

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help with service number record
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 May 24 14:14 BST (UK) »
The relevant records on FWR are taken from the AIR78 images freely available on the National Archives website.

More than one man named Dennis Harding served in the RAF over the years, but a record does exist of a man by that name with the service number you quoted.

A very poor preview is available via the link below - go to image 2321 and its the 2nd down on the left.  A better copy can be downloaded for free.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4004699
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 May 24 14:59 BST (UK) »
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-records-of-service

This should help you to find out how to apply for his service record;  it is not available online......don't waste your money!
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline derek22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 May 24 18:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your advice, I am not 100% about his service number, and when i looked on forces war records, it obviously had more information which it displayed for a fraction of a second before telling me that i needed to subscribe to see it. I will apply for his records as you suggest, which the government page says can take up to a year to process, but the reason i was asking if anyone had a subscription to forces war records, was to try and verify that this was my father, before applying for his records, only to find out a year later that I have the wrong person

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 19:49 »
The only other information on FWR is what they have gleaned from general online sources (ie NOT from his actual service record, which they do not have access to). 

This information is:
Militia (which is taken from the image I pointed you to)
They were enlisted at Cardington.
They were not a member of the Air Training Corps.
They enlisted after November 1943.

The source for this 'extra' information is here: https://www.ab-ix.co.uk/pdfs/rfc_raf.pdf
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 21:45 »
You do not need a service number to apply for his service record only month and year of birth and electronic eg jpeg proof of death.

In fact I usually advise against using a number found on the internet - let disclosures at Cranwell do their job without adding possible confusion.

At the moment RAF disclosures is running at between 2 to 6 months for returns.

The less they need to tease out incorrect info in the application - the quicker the return.

Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.