Author Topic: Searching for Arthur von POELLNITZ  (Read 1277 times)

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Arthur VON POELNITZ/POELLNITZ
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 28 May 24 07:44 BST (UK) »
Yes, I noted that too.

He did very well for himself.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 28 May 24 07:46 BST (UK) »
Yes, I noted that too.

He did very well for himself.

Spades

The family were certainly not short of a few bob  ;D

Rosie

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 28 May 24 08:00 BST (UK) »
Spades, in your first post you have mention of Jury Service in Australia in 1919. But if you scroll to the top of that piece, it is one of those pieces where they are recapping history. In this case reprinting something from 1879. 

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 28 May 24 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Mckha,

Yes, I realised that yesterday when I had another read of the article. I should have mentioned it here, sorry.

And you're just reminded me to check another article which appeared in a New Zealand paper about an international shooting competition which Arthur placed in during November 1873. I think it took place in Adelaide, South Australia and need to confirm this.
Lyttelton Times, 4 December 1873, Page 3
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01t7f/
Article first appeared in Melbourne's The Argus newspaper.

Yes, it did take place in Victoria, over a whole week from the look of it.

Spades
HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 28 May 24 09:18 BST (UK) »
The first record I've found of Arthur von POELLNITZ in New Zealand is an Armed Constabulary record dated 3 July 1874.

This shooting competition narrows his travel window to between November 1873 and July 1874.

Spades
HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Arthur von POELLNITZ
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 30 June 24 04:46 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.

Thank you for all the information and ideas you contributed which allowed me to build a detailed timeline of Arthur's life, although his place and date of death still eludes me.

Below is my brief biography based on your research which I thought you might be interested in. I have omitted mention of the alleged Fiji conviction and divorce because I firmly believe that the Manawatu Standard was guilty of reporting unsubstantiated and scurrilous gossip. In any case, the Fiji Times has not replied to my request for further information.

=========================================================

Biography of Baron Arthur James John Robert McKenzie POELLNITZ (circa 1847- after 1926)

A member of the Bavarian nobility trained as a cavalryman and holding the rank of Lieutenant in the Cuirassiers, Arthur von POELLNITZ was by definition an upper-class gentleman, an expert horseman and an excellent shot with a carbine (a short-barrelled rifle carried by cavalrymen). He would have been a polite, well-mannered and confident member of the upper class. He was curious and adventurous, at the age of twenty-one embarking alone on a voyage to the South Pacific on his own personal Grand Tour. He moved frequently, always seeking new sights and experiences. He was very competitive, applying his skills as a rifleman in both Australia and New Zealand and winning the Cavalry Carbine Belt in New Zealand in 1875.

Arthur struggled financially. He incurred debts and was slow to repay loans from colleagues while a member of New Zealandís Armed Constabulary Force. If he was receiving a regular remittance from his family he was not skilled at budgeting so occasionally lived beyond his means. Following his discharge he appeared in Magistrateís Court on three occasions, twice for non-payment of debts and once accused of embezzlement of the Christchurch Acclimatisation Society while its curator. In the latter case he was held on remand and then was extremely fortunate to escape conviction by a legal technicality, but his personal reputation was left in tatters.

This last incident triggered Arthurís rapid departure to Australia where he quickly went on to Hobart Town, Tasmania. Within the year he was back in Melbourne but then moved to South Deniliquin, New South Wales for a period, perhaps working as a hotel billiard player, before gaining employment with South Australia police as a Mounted Constable. In December 1881 he was transferred from South Australia police to the Northern Territory police, based at Palmerston, now the city of Darwin, and he remained there until about 1883. Arthur did not return to his family, now living in England, until 1884, a period of sixteen years. His father had died in 1879.

Arthurís next appearance was in Buenos Aires, Argentina at his marriage to Caroline Elizabeth Elliot. She was aged 36 and he 40, and it was the first marriage for both. Their only child, Herman Walter, was born there in January 1891. During his time in Argentina Arthur developed a successful horse stud business. The family remained in Argentina until about 1905 although Arthur made at least three trips back to England, presumably on business.

By 1905 Arthur and his wife and son were living in Blandford, Dorset. Six years later, in 1911, Arthur and his wife Caroline were living in Sidcup, Kent, with two servants, a cook and a maid. Arthur was a retired ranch owner. The census sheet for the household records that Caroline was born in Masulipatam, India.

The next five years were difficult for Arthur. In 1915 his mother Eleanore died at Farnham aged 100. In 1918 his son Herman was killed in a car accident in Bagdad while on active service. And his wife Caroline died at their residence in Sidcup in 1920.

In 1921 Arthur was living in Kensington with one of his sisters. By May 1923 Arthur was back in Bavaria, living with his friends Baron and Baroness Puthon.

Arthur was still alive in December 1926, living in Salzburg. This is the last record I have of him.

=========================================================
Regards,

Spades
HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 30 June 24 05:27 BST (UK) »
Very good. Thank you for posting. I like to see the finished thing.

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 30 June 24 05:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks McKha  :) :)

Spades

HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 30 June 24 08:05 BST (UK) »
Very nice ..nice to see the finished result just a pity no records been found of him after 1926

Rosie