Author Topic: Least we forget, 6th June 1944.  (Read 1178 times)

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Least we forget, 6th June 1944.
« on: Thursday 06 June 24 11:25 BST (UK) »
On this momentous day may we give thanks to those who served, to those who survived and to those that did not.

May we never forget them.

May all our Family Histories include the stories of our family members and their friends who served during WW2 in whatever form or manner their service and actions took.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Least we forget, 6th June 1944.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 June 24 11:32 BST (UK) »
Well said. 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 June 24 12:10 BST (UK) »
Well said. 

I would second that.

'Lest we forget'

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 June 24 13:42 BST (UK) »
Agree, well said Biggles.

May we never forget them.

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 June 24 13:50 BST (UK) »
A moving remembrance service on our village green was well attended.  Pupils from the village primary school took part and had contributed to an interesting exhibition in the church.  Relatives of men who had taken part in the Normandy landings told us about their family members and showed photos and shared memories. 

One of the older people commented that many of the members of the armed forces never talked about their experiences during the war, maybe because the men were of the generation who didn't talk about emotions and were encouraged to keep a stiff upper lip, so that left a generation who were perhaps not so well informed as later generations, even though they, wives and children, had to cope with difficult imes, too.  The teachers at the school commented that they were encouraged to talk about the effects of war on the village and its people, rather than the politics of the war.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 June 24 14:17 BST (UK) »
So many of us have had family members who served in WWII (as well as WWI).  They were all much younger than we are now, yet faced the prospect of instant oblivion with courage and daring.  Himself and I have reached our (very) late 70s in reasonable peace and all because of these young men and women.  Watching the ceremonies is heart-breaking, I just hope they are all there in spirit and know that this is the only way of saying thanks; but maybe those very few who are left will, over the next little while, be able to meet them and tell them.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline tomm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 June 24 14:45 BST (UK) »

Hi everyone
As you all have said this is a  Momentous Day for us all.
I was a 10 year old at the time and my dad was away I saw him twice in nearly 5years.
Both times wounded...
Yet he never said a word of where he had been until the day he passed away.
We have been told that he was a member of the LRDG
I have done my Nat/Ser also.

Kind regards
To all
Tomm

Offline tomm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 June 24 14:47 BST (UK) »

I meant to say

May we never forget them

Tomm

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 June 24 15:02 BST (UK) »
It always amazes me that such modest ,ordinary people do such amazing things .Yes, they are under strict orders but I would not have gone “ over the top “ for anything in WW1 or anywhere else!
In the memory of many of us there has not really been global peace since WW2 ,——-Malaya, Korea, Kenya, Cypress ,The Falklands , Afghanistan ——-
Time and time again men have been involved in conflicts away from home and sadly some much nearer home.

It must be hard when after serving to bring about peace there is another conflict and it happens all over again, Veterans must wonder about that having served so bravely with the hope it would be the last conflict.

Lovely to see The King and Queen Camilla, out and about , I hope he feels and is as well as he looked.

Thankyou is so insufficient ,but what else is there to say , if those men had been better respected afterwards it would have been more fitting.
It seems so much is targeted towards youth,I don’t disagree with much of that but  whilst the very elderly are having often to choose between eating and keeping warm - well they have few years  left and those should be comfortable and free from financial worries.
Not much to ask is it really.
It was the same after WW1 ,heroes standing in the gutters begging or selling matches after often four years of hell.

Viktoria..