Author Topic: Least we forget, 6th June 1944.  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: Least we forget, 6th June 1944.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 June 24 09:57 BST (UK) »
I didn't have any close relatives who fought in WWII, but my father did do his bit - he was involved in the construction of Spitfires, at Sealand, outside Chester.  He did tell me that occasionally, to keep them all on their toes whilst working, they would be invited on a test flight!

My grandfather died in WWI and is commemorated at Thiepval as he has no known resting place.

Although I was born in 1939 and survived the war in Bucks, my family had no connection with the war beyond Father doing firewatching, as he had suffered a spinal injury 10 years earlier.  His father had been torpedoed off Greece in 1917 (but lived to tell the tale) and a cousin died in the Liverpool Rifles in 1914.

But after many years of peace I wonder how long we expect to maintain these major events, as nearly all those who took part have now passed on.  The centenary of WW1 seemed to me a good point to start to wind down.  After all, very little reference is made now to the Boer War (or the Napoleonic Wars!), though when my torpedoed grandfather died in 1933 his obituary recalled that 'he brought the guns to Ladysmith' as first officer of a merchant ship.

Sadly, the way things are shaping up in eastern Europe, perhaps we should be looking forwards rather than back.  >:(
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 10 June 24 10:49 BST (UK) »
The numbers were so great in WW1 and 2, there was also conscription so whilst there were many volunteers there were also those who had no choice.
Not sure if ,for example there was any conscription in the1700s and 1800’s for The Napoleonic and Peninsular wars, but the press gangs kidnapped and forced young men into The Royal Navy .

I too have thought about past conflicts and whilst there are some reminders many are not remembered so are not commemorated.

The battles were on a much smaller scale , not a continuous line for hundreds of miles .
Artillery was also more primitive ,still killed though!

No answer really is there, but I hope it does not cease at all but certainly not  in my lifetime and at 87 not much longer to go is there!

Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 10 June 24 12:01 BST (UK) »
I hope these Remembrance events will not cease any time soon.
I think there is something in that if you don't remember then there is a risk of repeating.
WW1 and WW2 were off the scale in every sense I think to anything that has taken place before.  So many things I have heard, watched or read about those times almost  beggars belief.   I think it is horrible that we have many examples (Mengele and some of the Japanese military come to mind for instance) that war can bring out the very worst in people and turn them into monsters.  Where was their sense of conscience and humanity?!  I am very glad that I was not around then. 

My Dad and his brother both served in WW2.  Both survived, thankfully although from what I have heard my Dad came perilously close to not coming through.  My Dad's Uncle John died age 28 after being gassed in WW1 and developing stomach cancer.  He was sent home and died at a War Hospital and was buried in Sacriston.  My Grandfather's cousin was killed in action at Ypres.  My step Grandmother lost two sons in WW2 -
one had been a PoW of the Japanese.  I met another of her sons.  He had been in an asylum for years but came out eventually and was cared for by his aged Mother and my Grandfather.  He seemed to me to have shell shock symptoms.  But it was all very hush hush.  He never recovered.  I suspect it might have been war related.  He died when I was 11.

I would like to think 'never again' re war but sadly the way the world seems to be going I dread to think what might be around the corner.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 10 June 24 20:16 BST (UK) »
Yes, R,T,L ,all the more reason to remember what has happened in relatively recent times, but sadly when those who decide are not directly involved in  the  result of their decisions they will not really consider those who are directly affected .
When armies were led by kings though it was  on a minuscule scale by comparison ,much different to modern long distance fighting , admittedly there were close engagements in WW1 and WW2 ,bayonet charges ,clearing trenches etc and in the case of Bill Speakman,throwing  beer bottles!
He was a brave man.
The fields where  Crecy ( sorry no cedilla) and Agincourt were fought out are minuscule by comparison ,heavy losses though .
Writing about those far off times - bring back The King’s Champion ,one man wiling to fight one other  willing man, no mass engagements.
Winston v Adolf ——-

Seriously , what a waste of life, resources ,and such damage to our world !
When will they ever learn?
Probably never .

On that gloomy note , I must say I am glad I won’t see many more  conflicts but my children,grandchildren and great grandchildren probably will.

Viktoria.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 10 June 24 23:10 BST (UK) »
... Crecy ( sorry no cedilla) ...
Viktoria.
I don't think you need one, V  :D

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 05:45 BST (UK) »
I agree with everything you have written Viktoria.  I think if those who bring about wars actually had to go to the Front line themselves, then they might not be in such a hurry to do so.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 09:14 BST (UK) »
Oooops!l
70 years since I did French and I followed the rule that a c needed a cedilla if it was softly sounded ,so as we pronounce it “Cressy “I felt it needed one but none on my keypad .
I have just checked in a Ladybird book which I bought my sons 60+ years ago when they were quite young “ Kings and Queens of England “ and it does have the cedilla there ,Black Prince etc .at that battle.
We have been there ,the windmill from where Edward 111  viewed the battle
has been rebuilt and we stood in it ,the battlefield was really quite small and there is a memorial to The King of Bohemia from whose helm The Black Prince took the three feathers that are now the emblem of every Prince of Wales.
There is also in the little town a memorial fountain erected by Eleanor of Aquitaine in memory of her sons ,Richard ( Lionheart) Geoffrey and John
“Sans Terre” - Lackland.
I have seen Crecy without the cedilla but thought perhaps it was just an omission , but it is in the little Ladybook book I consulted after your post .
Those books were so good at introducing children to such a wide variety of facts .
Thanks, Andrew , I don’t mind being “ put right “ , it might now be omitted in English if not French .
Cheerio. Viktoria .

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 09:47 BST (UK) »
Oooops!l
I have seen Crecy without the cedilla but thought perhaps it was just an omission , but it is in the little Ladybook book I consulted after your post .
I don't wish to hijack this thread with academic nit-picking, V.  I have checked my large-scale atlas of France, which shows three Crécys, all without cédille, but all with accent-aigu (as I have typed here). So we were both wrong, to that extent  :D

You will know that in languages derived from Latin, C is typically 'hard' before A, O and U, but softened before E and I (this is even the norm in English, only derived from Latin at second hand).  Not sure where Y fits as I don't think Latin had it, but no words beginning Cy.. in my recent French dictionary need a cedilla. 

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 10:43 BST (UK) »
In both Google Maps and Apple Maps, Crécy appears without a cedilla. As a control I checked Alençon – it does have a cedilla in these maps.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon