Author Topic: James Henry and family based in New York  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Henry and family based in New York
« Reply #27 on: Monday 10 June 24 22:53 BST (UK) »
Inflammation of the brain due to sun exposure. Also called insolation - heat stroke caused by exposure to the sun and characterised by a rise in temperature, convulsions, and coma.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline KrisWilson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 June 24 23:19 BST (UK) »
Insolation?
It seems to be heat related.

Just looked this up and someone else was searching for that as the cause of death, apparently there was a 1896 New York heat wave that a lot of people died from:

https://www.nysarchivestrust.org/application/files/6416/0588/0274/archivesmag_summer2008.pdf

That may be what it was as its the same year.

Neale1961, I found this article on the heat wave in 1896, the 11th of August was the hottest day during it so that confirms the insolation.

One thing I noticed was the 11 yrs in US and under it being 11 yrs in New York do you think that is true or just a guess by who was filling in the form?

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 June 24 23:30 BST (UK) »
One thing I noticed was the 11 yrs in US and under it being 11 yrs in New York do you think that is true or just a guess by who was filling in the form?

I think 11 years in USA is an approximation, and same time in NY an assumption. It will give you a vague time line. I have looked for shipping / immigration records and found nothing conclusive.

It has puzzled me that the James and family can't be found in the 1892 NY census. I have looked but found nothing. Others may have more success.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline KrisWilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 00:05 BST (UK) »

I think 11 years in USA is an approximation, and same time in NY an assumption. It will give you a vague time line. I have looked for shipping / immigration records and found nothing conclusive.

It has puzzled me that the James and family can't be found in the 1892 NY census. I have looked but found nothing. Others may have more success.

Thanks for checking Neale1961, just came across the New York, New York City, Police Census, 1890 and there are results for James Henry, Mary Henry, Annie Henry and Fanny Henry here:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&q.givenName=James&q.surname=Henry&f.collectionId=2381996

Unfortunately they can only be viewed at a family centre.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 00:21 BST (UK) »
I was hoping the 1892 census would give a bit more clarity to the age for James.
It seems there are some lost / destroyed pages from that specific census, & I can only think is why they are missing.  A shame.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 14:13 BST (UK) »
New York County/Manhattan is missing from the 1892 census, so if they were still there back then, that would explain why they can't be found.

There is an 1890 NYC census done by the police.  https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/2381996  Unfortunately, the images aren't available online unless you go to a Family Search Center.

As I mentioned in reply #6 (https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=883330.msg7561977#msg7561977), there was a James Henry who died in Presbyterian Hospital during the heat wave.  I think that's your guy. 

The writing on the death certificate about the place of death looks like Presbyterian Hosp in one spot and Presbyterian Hp in the other spot.  The class of dwelling might be a sloppily-written Tenement. 

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris,
Have you considered that Fanny Henry might have been born 29 Nov 1887, (not 1888). The year of birth recorded on her death cert. may not be entirely accurate.
On the poor law application (Scotland) dated 6th Jan 1899, Fanny’s age is recorded as 11 years and 1 month. So this gives birth in late 1887
Also 1901 census (taken March) suggests 1887 birth.
Also as parents married on 3 Feb 1887, a birth in late Nov 1887 is quite possible.

After marrying in Allendale Michigan, James and Jane Mary Henry would have had a long travel across the country to New York (we know they were there definitely by 1890). Fanny may have been born on the way, and not specifically in New York city.

Also, I assume you know Jane’s parents names – but did you find a birth registration for her?

And did you ever find when, and where, she arrived in the USA?

Offline KrisWilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 12 June 24 00:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks shellyesq, I searched the New York City, Police Census, 1890 and the correct names do appear but as you mentioned its only viewable at a family centre are these US based? I'm based in Scotland.

Neale1961 it is possible it could be 1887 but I was going off the date in the death certificate. Would that mean searching for a Fanny Henry birth inbetween to two locations? Every time she is mentioned in records it have been New York listed.

By the way by Jane do you mean Mary Welsh?

I do know quite a bit on Marys parents Edward Welsh and Susanna Taylor who are also in quite a few North Lanarkshire poor applications and I have their marriage records and death records.

I couldn't find the birth registration for her but in the poor law 1899 it states born abt 1870 Londonderry, Ireland. Her sister Susan Welsh was the last child born before her in 1867 in Drummakeel, Ballycastle, County Antrim so it's possible thats where she was born too.

I have an ancestry tree I could share with loads of links/docs attached that might make things easier if you want me to share it with you?

I still haven't figured out where and when she arrived in the USA, do you know what port people heading for Allendale from Ireland would arrive in the US?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 12 June 24 00:27 BST (UK) »
Information on death certificates is only as good as the knowledge and memory of the person providing the information. They may have remembered the correct day and month of birth, but be out a year or more. I suspect 1887 may be the correct year.

I have looked without success for a birth for Fanny in other places in the USA. If she was born while they were travelling across the country, the birth may not have been registered anywhere.