Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 16th June 2024  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 16th June 2024
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 09:51 BST (UK) »
A bright sunny day so far, so the washing is out on the line.  Unfortunately it is still so cold that I have had to get out some winter woollies, which I had optimistically put away for the summer.  Will I ever get to wear my lovely new summer dress, I wonder?

Apparently a lot of people are suffering from hay fever, even if they have never had it before.  Also Covid and Norovirus are around, sometimes caught in the hospital. 

Off to coffee now for a U3A Hub meeting.  This is a new idea from the local U3A, where members are encouraged to meet informally near their homes.  In our case, although the classes are held in a nearby town the informal coffee meetings are held in the village pub, which means you get to know people who go to other classes but live locally. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 10:01 BST (UK) »
I have heard of this LM but I haven't tried it myself.  Let us know if this home remedy is effective.

I see in the news today that the NHS is urgently appealing for blood donation after a cyber attack.  A gang of Russian criminals are suspected as responsible for this major incident. :-\

I am on a back shift later today.

The cyber attack shows just how reliant we are on computer systems today, leaving vulnerable in so many ways.

I believe they particularly want O negative blood as that can be given to anyone regardless of blood group.

Lovely and sunny here in Dorset but I do wish it would warm up, not too hot but enough to make it feel like summer. It’s hard to believe we are so far into June already.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 10:28 BST (UK) »
2 weeks ago, I was in shorts and sandals.
Spent last week in hospital, (scheduled visit for a lumbar drain), got home to 12C max temperature!

So cold!

I have hydrocephalus (used to be called water-on-the-brain), and they needed the drain for diagnostic purposes. They took nearly 600ml :o

Due a phone call from the consultant tomorrow as to further treatment.
Anything that helps my balance problem will be welcome.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 10:46 BST (UK) »
Jebber, I just hope that this NHS appeal will bring forth more blood donations than ever before, which would no doubt make that cyber gang's activity counter productive.  That would teach them!  ;) Although, unfortunately it sounds like they have put back operations and so may have put lives at risk. :-\

I  can imagine you are right in saying that our heavy reliance on computer systems makes for vulnerability.

Hope you are feeling better now KGarrad and that your balance problems have and will improve further.

Strange fluctuating weather at the moment.  You don't know what to wear or what to expect.  Last Friday, we had about 10 minutes of hailstones - in June! :o

I'll have to go sort an early lunch now as I have to set off for backshift soon.  Have a good day all.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 22:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, do let us know.

Out to lunch today with a group of ladies from church ,they are stalwarts in the kitchen.
 They did bacon butties on Saturday morning for hours and were so whacked did not attend the tea party so arranged this today ,
We had a good laugh .
I washed a huge pile of Tea towels after Saturday’s party and Sunday mornings too..
They were not a really sparkling white, well they are now.
Hot wash and dried in the sun.
I love pegging washing on the line.

Yes sad news of Michael Mosely ,his programmes were interesting .

Another horse has died at Appleby Horse Fair.
Overworked !
It is time it was stopped, the river is overflowing with washing up liquid suds after the horses have all been bathed in it, so damaging for the environment .
It is a tradition of the Travelling people ,but a lot of cruelty goes on.
They are very skilled at making poor horses look good!

Well I am very tired so off to bed with a good book.
Look after yourselves folks .
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 June 24 07:31 BST (UK) »
Morning all
Yesterday was very cold, so cold my husband put the heating on, he is a chilly mortal, it is dull and cold  again this morning, as I said before we should have been in  Devon,  my brother tells me the weather is nice in his area, or is it, is he kidding me?

The onion and sugar concoction,  must admit I am not coughing as much, only had 3 spoonfuls so far but I will keep it going for a few  more days and let you all know

Yes, very sad about Michael Mosley,  so near to where he might have got help, somehow I feel, like a lot of others,  that I know him so well, watched him on TV  and read his articles in the paper, so very sad for his lovely family,

Viktoria, I brought 22 tea towels home after the Tower opening at the church on Saturday,  in my former life I must have been a laundress, always seem to have washing out, it might stem back to when I was a child, the people in the basement took our washing line down, it was very difficult to get washing dried, I fact I don't even remember how I got my washing dry but I always went out clean and tidy..

It might be dull  but my bed linen will be going out in the fresh air soon.

Enjoy your day folks

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 June 24 10:32 BST (UK) »
I noticed that many of the tea towels at church are rather grey!
Well we serve people who pop in for a coffee and a bacon butty on Saturdays
so quite a lot used .I did not say anything but will somehow get them to brighten up.
Those I took home after our tea party are now nice and bright but were dried on the line in sunshine but also had a hot wash and are now O.K.

Very cold again but up to now dry.
Had a hilarious afternoon yesterday when out with four ladies from church, the talk seemed to centre round funeral mishaps and graves!
One lady’s Grandmother had given strict instructions she was not to be buried in her husband’s grave——- they did not get on!
Relatives in Australia had asked for a photograph of each grave, job done and photos sent.
But,in a little town where many people share a fairly small number of local
surnames ——- yes, wrong grave in a very neglected overgrown old
graveyard , it was naughty of us but we did laugh ,then more so when the storyteller said she had taken nice flowers to her grandmother’s grave and a much smaller bunch for the much disliked grandfather but put the nice ones on his grave for the photograph to be sent to Australia——— then swapped them back for grandma’s grave photograph also for Australia ,turning the bunch round so it did look like the same flowers .
People going to wrong funeral etc .

My eldest son is 67 today ,was born at 8-10 , on a Wednesday morning too!
He might call later but the car is in for something or other but  did come on Monday .
We will do something nice at weekend .

Well washer has finished and up to now a dry breezy day so they will be dancing  on the line  very soon.
Cheerio folks, thanks for the news.

Viktoria.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 June 24 10:37 BST (UK) »
LM
Don't believe your brother! ;)  It's still pretty cold in my part of Devon, anyway.  Yesterday I was wearing winter woollies and the central heating came on automatically during the afternoon.   At least it's not raining today... so far ::)

Viktoria
You can't beat washing dried on the line, can you? :) It smells so nice when you iron it (my job for this morning).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 June 24 11:45 BST (UK) »
I did suspect  he was laying it on a bit, should have been seeing  him today so I graced him with my voice and not my presence .

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London