Author Topic: Gedmatch Users  (Read 200 times)

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Gedmatch Users
« on: Tuesday 11 June 24 13:34 BST (UK) »
I have just received an eMail from Gedmatch so rather than follow the links within the eMail I logged into Gedmatch where I found:-

The login system at Gedmatch is changing on June 18th

Gedmatch also requires that the eMail address you use is checked by users and is valid all by the 13th June.

If Gedmatch users login soon they will be presented with a tutorial video that you can watch where they explain about the enhancements to the security of the website that they are making.

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
Re: Gedmatch Users
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 13:48 BST (UK) »
If the email address they used to send you the email was not working then you would not have received the email telling you that you had to validate it,
I watched the video which was very boring and did not tell me how to validate my email address.
They do not seem to have thought through what they are doing.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 14:39 BST (UK) »
You can go to your profile and ensure your email is correct or make the change there under Email/Password tab.

That said, my email address is correct but I didn't get a notification.

Offline AnotherDay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 15:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update.

My understanding of the situation is that you need to make sure the email address in your GEDmatch account is the one you want to use for GEDmatch. If it isn't the one you want to use (e.g. no longer valid, not your preferred email address), then you should change it by 13 June (as it will apparently be a bit of a chore to change it after that).

Around 18 June, when you log in, you will be asked to change your password (it looks as if you might have to click on Forgotten Password, but we will see).

Around that time, GEDmatch will begin to allow you to log in using certain social media account details - but my recollection from some years ago is that this is not a good idea.

And at some stage, a two-step (?) log-in verification process will be introduced.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 15:46 BST (UK) »
If the email address they used to send you the email was not working then you would not have received the email telling you that you had to validate it,

Can't fault your logic!  ;D
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 June 24 22:49 BST (UK) »
Bookmarking to see what else might come up before I make up my mind.  GedMatch has not been that much assistance in my DNA journey nor for the other 5 uploads that I've put up there.
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie