Author Topic: Stennings of Portsmouth 1910 lookup please!!  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Demigoddess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stennings of Portsmouth 1910 lookup please!!
« on: Wednesday 14 September 05 11:04 BST (UK) »
A weird request I know, but I am looking for my husband's grandfather, William Harry Stenning and his parents.  I have tried every avenue of investigation I know.  :'(

William Harry was born in 1906 in Portsmouth,  he had an older sister Violet, also born in Portsmouth.  The family is 90% sure their father was also named William.

William Stenning, H, M, ??,
Mother ???
Violet Stenning, D, U, 6/7,
William Harry Stenning, S, U, 4,

Any help at all would be very gratefully received.

Kindest regards

Ruth
Sorry my email address is not working

Colbeck, Colebeck, Coulbeck, Webb, Foote, Udall, Crumpler, Hooker, Parsonson, Goffe, Appleyard

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stennings of Portsmouth 1910 lookup please!!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 September 05 22:14 BST (UK) »
Ruth,

Unless it has landed from outer space, the latest census that the public has access to was taken in 1901.  The 1911 census will not be available until 2012.

A Violet Elizabeth S Stenning was born 1908, birth registered Portsmouth Dec 1908 2b 444.  But that doesn't quite fit.  Can't see William Harry.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Demigoddess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 10:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking for me Nell.....much appreciated....I'll look into the date as these things aren't always correct when the information has come from family members.....

Colbeck, Colebeck, Coulbeck, Webb, Foote, Udall, Crumpler, Hooker, Parsonson, Goffe, Appleyard

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 15:36 BST (UK) »
 Hi Ruth, I had a quick look for you.....he was'nt born in 1906 and he wasnt born in Portsmouth. He wasnt born in the last Quarter of 1905 or anywhere in 1907. .... ??? Unless he had changed his  middle name to Harry, and didnt know that he was born in Coventry.... and of course this may not be him either :'(

William Henry AMJ 1906 Coventry  6a  565 This is the only one i could find born in the year that you thought you needed,  that was a William.

regards cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Demigoddess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 May 06 13:35 BST (UK) »
Oh!!!! Thats strange...

The information regarding William came from his step-daughter.... I'll let her know what you found and see if there is anything else to be discovered, in case it rings any bells... thank you for finding the William in Coventry... it might explain why I couldn't find him myself in Portsmouth!!

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 May 06 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

Do you know when William Harry STENNING died, if it's after Mar 1969 the death index should give his DOB which may help narrow it down :)

Regards
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)