Author Topic: Cranston, Norfolk  (Read 3368 times)

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Cranston, Norfolk
« on: Wednesday 11 August 04 17:59 BST (UK) »
My ancestor, John Carver, gave his place of birth in the 1851 census (when he was living in Hull) as Cranston, Norfolk. I have not found a Cranston in Norfolk on the map, so the options are that (a) he made it up (in the 1841 census he said Norwich(, (b) the census taker wrote the name down wrongly, or (c) it no longer exists.

If (a) is what happened, I'm no further forward, but if either of the other two possibilities were what happened, is anyone aware of a place called Cranston that no longer exists, or hazard a guess as to which of the places in Norfolk whose names are vaguely similar might be his place of origin?
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cranston, Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 August 04 10:02 BST (UK) »
I got an image of the original transcription and it had been misread by the person who gave me the details. Cranston is in fact Bramerton (spelled Brammerton, with a decidedly vague squiggle between the 'a' and the 'ton'). It took 400% magnification, not an inconsiderable amount of time to decipher and access to the Norfolk parish list to find the answer. I have been transcribing our own parish records for the last 18 months, so am getting the hang of Victorian handwriting.

E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell