Author Topic: Thomas Day in 1841, 1851, 1861  (Read 1595 times)

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thomas Day in 1841, 1851, 1861
« on: Thursday 12 August 04 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for a THOMAS DAY in Bedford.  All I know is he was a blacksmith when he married SARAH PAGE in 1859 at St Pauls, Bedford and both gave their address as THURLOW STREET and their ages as 'full'.  Thomas's dad was JOSEPH a butcher  They had a son GEORGE WILLIAM in 1865 in Leeds and Thomas died before 1881, when Sarah & George were living in Barrow, Lancs.  So if anyone has any ideas on how to find a census record of Thomas, so I can get an age & birthplace for him, I would be extremely grateful.  I've tried the Bedfordshire Look-up Exchange, but have never received a reply, in fact I'm beginning to get a complex about being ignored!  Many thanks for any advice. TonyR

Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Day in 1841, 1851, 1861
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 August 04 14:29 BST (UK) »
Checked 1861 Thurlow St and Little Thurlow St - no Days or Pages I'm afraid. 
At least you know that you're not being ignored!

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 August 04 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that David, guess it wasn't my lucky 'DAY'.  TonyR
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 August 04 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi there

More bad news I'm afraid. I checked the 1851 census index for Bedford as follows:

Vol 8 Book 1 HO/107/1751/179 Bedford & Kempston 5. Enumeration districts 7, 8, 9,10 & 11. Folios 537-715.

Lots of Days & Pages but no Thomas or Joseph Day or Sarah Page. The only Sarah Page I found was aged 55 born Huntingdonshire fol 577.

Vol 8 Book 2 HO 107/1752 Bedford & Cardington 6.
Districts 1,2,3 & 4 Folios 1-201

Again lots of Days & Pages but no Thomas or Joseph Day or Sarah Page.

When I got back I checked the IGI and noted a Sarah Page c 3.9.1837 St Paul, Bedford dau of William & Sarah Page. Could she be yours?

Although I didn't find Sarah herself I didn't look for her parents as you didn't say what her father's name was.

I shall be going to Luton library again next week sometime. If you want me to check again, for Sarah's father this time, just let me know before then and I'll see what I can do.

Have you tried a post for the 1861 & 1871 census for Leeds or the 1871 census for Barrow, Lancs?

Thomas & Sarah may have moved to Leeds shortly after their marriage so may have been in Leeds in 1861 and could be either in Leeds or Barrow in 1871.

Regards

criggy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 August 04 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Criggy, wow you seem to have spent a lot of time on this, I'm really grateful.  We must think alike because I have posted for the 1861 & 1871 census for Leeds and the 1871 census for Barrow, Lancs with no results.  In fact the house where GEORGE WILLIAM was born in Leeds is missing from the 1861 census, how unlucky is that?  I also asked Fitty to look in the 1868 Leeds poll book for THOMAS, again with no result.  The Sarah Page you saw in the IGI is the one I have adopted as mine.  She is from Colmworth and there is a THOMAS there as well, but his dad was Thomas so no go.  The only THOMAS near to Bedford, with a dad Joseph I can find in the IGI was born 30 Jan 1826 in Barnwell, Cambridge.  I couldn't find much about him, so decided on my original post, to try & track THOMAS down in a Bedford census before he married & get his birthplace, before exploring other possibilities.  Again many thanks for your time Criggy but I am beginning to think THOMAS doesn't want to be found.  Regards, Tony

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 August 04 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

Well, you certainly have your work cut out for you don't you, trying to find the elusive Thomas? Hope you succeed.

With regards to Sarah Page. She may not have been working in Bedford in 1851. I see that Colmworth is just north of Bedford so perhaps she was there.

Will make a note to check the 1851 index to see if there is a booklet which covers Colmworth and check for a William Page at Bedford if you would like me to.

Do you think the Sarah aged 55 bn Huntingdonshire could be her mother? Unfortunately Luton only has the 1851 census index (parish by parish!) and PR's for mid and south Beds.

If you have already covered the above I would be grateful if you could let me know.

Can't say when I'll be going to Luton just yet as I am waiting for a new pair of reading glasses to arrive but it should be within the next week or two.

Regards

criggy

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 August 04 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Criggy, if you can read this, the Sarah aged 55 bn Huntingdonshire isn't the mom of my Sarah Page, she was Sarah Bailey born Roxton I think.  I have two candidates for William Page, one born in Ampthill & the other in Roxton.  This needs working on but in hand thanks.  I was rather hoping someone with census on cd might easily have found Thomas before he married, at home with his dad Joseph or with Sarah after their marriage in Bedford 1859.  I know how time consuming it is to search manually, so I really don't think I can ask you to do that.  I am doing this myself for other branches of my tree in other English counties & also Ireland and it really is tedious even when it's for your own family.  If you want to file it in the back of your mind in case you might stumble across it, that will be fine but please don't spend your time on it.  I think I might pursue the Thomas & Joseph in Cambridge by posting a look-up there, if there is a look-up board of course!  Many, many thanks Criggy.  Tony

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 August 04 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again Tony

It would be no problem as I would be in the vicinity anyway and would be passing the libary. It would just involve looking at two booklets so not too onerous or time consuming.

If you change your mind just let me know.

Good hunting.

Regards

criggy

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 August 04 13:00 BST (UK) »
OK Criggy you win.  Have a look when your passing & I will be grateful for any info.  Thanks, Tony.  P.S. I've just read your research names.  I've got Smiths (who hasn't) mine are from Ireland & I've got a Henry Wilkinson, from Fishtoft, Lincs.  He marries my Sarah Page in Barrow!