Author Topic: Moneypenny's Grocer Shops - Everton  (Read 10473 times)

Offline Rob Volp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moneypenny's Grocer Shops - Everton
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 03 September 11 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

William in his best bib and tucker

Offline Rob Volp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 03 September 11 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,
Left to right
Lillian, Albert, Lillians Sister, Willima & Anne

X

Offline Rob Volp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 September 11 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

Thomas with Dorothy Moneypenny

X

Offline MissM II

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 04 September 11 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,

Thanks so much for posting the photos!  I have never seen any of my great uncles before so it's wonderful to finally 'meet' them!

I am still trying to work out how we all link together because if we can find a common grandparent somewhere, it will help me so much with my tree. I have a whole database of every Moneyenny I come across but my line stops at Matthew who was born in 1809 in N Ireland.  He married Elizabeth Cretney from the Isle of Man and their children were William, Sarah, Jane, Eliza, Ellen, and my Great Grandad, James born 1852.

I am looking forward to sharing your photos with my family who don't do much about the tree but seem to enjoy it when I bring them up to date!

Thanks again for sharing with me!

Lynne x

Offline MissM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 04 September 11 18:54 BST (UK) »
It's me again Rob!

I've just found an old photo that my cousin Doreen sent me earlier this year of our Uncle Charlie with his Auntie Lilian.....

Recognise anyone?  ;D

Second photo is Charlie with his brother, my Uncle Bill and their Mum, Mary sadly all passed on now.

Your mum might remember my grandad Matthew but he messed his family about quite a few times and is rememebred a a bit of a rogue apparently!  I'll attach his photo in my next message.
MONEYPENNY (Liverpool/N Ireland/Scotland)
CRETNEY (Isle of Man)
KIDD (N Ireland)
DAVIES ( Denbighshire, N Wales)
ROBERTS (Liverpool)
WHITE (Liverpool)
Local History website - www.spekeliverpool.co.uk

Offline MissM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 September 11 18:56 BST (UK) »
Looking again at Auntie Lilian she looks more like Grandma so she might not be your Mum after all!

Here's Grandad Matthew.

Great this, isn't it?  ;D
CRETNEY (Isle of Man)
KIDD (N Ireland)
ROBERTS (Liverpool)
WHITE (Liverpool)

Offline Rob Volp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 September 11 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

Yep it is good fun.
Mum is trying her hardest to remember things and I am sure they will come back to her. My Dad told us the story of being a little boy in Rose Vale Everton and going to get sweets from a shop in Netherfield Rd. Many years later when he was home on leave from the Air Force he saw a girl he fancied at a dance in Speke, he told his mate he was going to marry her even though he had not even met her ! it turned out her Dad was.....................................................William Moneypenny the man from the sweet shop!! He told us this many times inhis last few days before he passed away in September 09, he hung on for 4 days to reach the 24th which was their wedding anniversary.

I have just dug out some notes my Auntie Dolly wrote about the family a few years before she passed away. I will get Uncle Terry to confirm but reading it I think Thomas Moneypennys wife was called Elizabeth and they also ran agrocers shop in Arkwright St before the war.
The notes seem to indicate that William & Albert had a sister named Lillian and another brother named Matthew who died at an early age. Lillian married a Vincent Cunnigham.Could these be the Lillian and Matthew in your photos ?

Rob X

Offline MissM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 05 September 11 00:10 BST (UK) »
So they met in Speke?  That's where I'm from and still live! What a lovely memory for your Mum to keep of your Dad's happiest days.

The Matthew in my last photo is definitely my Grandad - the one who left his family.  We found it recently in an old box of photos my cousin has. That Auntie Lilian will have to wait to be identified! I do have record of other Moneypenny's that lived in the Toxteth Park area of Liverpool but I can't link them in yet. They include a Lilian Moneypenny b 1898 but she wasn't in Liverpool in the 1911 census that the others were on.

Do you know your Great Grandfather's name, father of William and Albert? I think it might be Richard as I have Albert as his son from the 1911 census.  This would explain why Albert was actually christened Richard Albert but known by his middle name. There was also William b 1887, James b 1891, David 1893, and John b 1894.

This would then make my Grandad Matthew b 1885 and your Great Grandad Richard b 1881 brothers.  And that would make Albert and William actually my Dad's cousins.

These were all children of James b 1856 and Elizabeth b 1863, my Great Grandparents, possibly (If I've got this right, your Great Great Granparents.)

James was the son of Matthew B 1809 and Elizabeth Cretney b 1803.  My Great x 2 and your Great x 3!  (I have Elizabeth's line back to Finloe Cretney b 1606 if you want it!)

A pretty big IF in all that so if you can find out your Grandad William's father's name it will confirm the above and we will have changed to become second cousins once removed!

As for Thomas who was married to Elizabeth -  I have a Thomas married to an Elizabeth with a sister Lilian b 1897 and a brother William b 1900.  He would have been a cousin of William and Albert's. Could that be your Thomas in the photo with Dolly?  His Dad was also Thomas and his Dad was William, brother of the above James b 1856. 

Oh no, it's just got more complicated!!!

Phew!  Time for bed I think.  My mind is swirling! I will try to spend some time this week getting the lines sorted out into an easier format to read.  At the moment their all in a huge alphabetical database. If you ever want a look, I can email it to you!

Give your Mum my very best wishes and thank you both for all your memories.

Lynne     

CRETNEY (Isle of Man)
KIDD (N Ireland)
ROBERTS (Liverpool)
WHITE (Liverpool)

Offline Rob Volp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 05 September 11 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

Yes Mum & Dad met at a dance in Speke, not sure of the venue. We lived in the prefabs at Belle Vale until they got demolished in the mid to late sixties and they moved us to Halewood. Dad worked at Plessy's and Mum worked at Trammers, we eventually moved to Great Sankey and are still there, apart from my brother Michael who emigarted to Australia :-(

William & Alberts Dad was the Thomas in the photograph I posted, he wifes name was Elizabeth I think. Am pretty certain that they also had a daughter Lillian and another son Matthew. Repetition of popular christian names do cause confusion eh?

Better get on with some work now, speak later
Rob X