Author Topic: Moneypenny's Grocer Shops - Everton  (Read 10455 times)

Offline SusieKelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moneypenny's Grocer Shops - Everton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 August 11 08:54 BST (UK) »
Here are a list of Moneypenny's that lived in the area in 1960

Moneypenny, Bridget 12, Dawber Street
Moneypenny, Elizabeth 29, St. George’s Hill
Moneypenny, Lillian 29, St. George’s Hill
Moneypenny, Richard 29, St. George’s Hill

Offline Rob Volp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 August 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

Albert Moneypenny was my Grandads (William Moneypenny) brother and they both ran grocers shops on Netherfield road. His wifes name was Lillian and they had two children, Val & Betty. Nanna & Grandad also had two daughters, Dolly & Lillian. During the war all four children were evacuated to a Lancashire village called Wray which is near Lancaster.
I think Albert & Bills parents either owned or rented a cottage in Wray before the war. Dolly marrried a local lad by the name of Robinson and lived there until she sadly died last year. I still visit Wray a few times a year to see my cousins.
Both Val and Betty have passed away which leaves only my Mum, Lillian, as the only surving daughter of the Moneypenny brothers of Netherfield road which probably explains why you cannot find anyone left named Moneypenny on this branch of your family tree.
I guess this makes us some kind of distant relatives eh ????

Rob

Offline MissM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 September 11 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

Here are the photos I told you about.  They're obviously very old but you can make out the two different shops on them!

Lynne
MONEYPENNY (Liverpool/N Ireland/Scotland)
CRETNEY (Isle of Man)
KIDD (N Ireland)
DAVIES ( Denbighshire, N Wales)
ROBERTS (Liverpool)
WHITE (Liverpool)
Local History website - www.spekeliverpool.co.uk

Offline MissM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 September 11 23:56 BST (UK) »
This is the other shop which I found out about recently when a friend on this board told me about it. (I believe the first shop, above, was on the corner of Anthony Street.)

x
MONEYPENNY (Liverpool/N Ireland/Scotland)
CRETNEY (Isle of Man)
KIDD (N Ireland)
DAVIES ( Denbighshire, N Wales)
ROBERTS (Liverpool)
WHITE (Liverpool)
Local History website - www.spekeliverpool.co.uk

Offline MissM II

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 September 11 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

It's Lynne here.  I have mistakenly entered my email address wrongly in my personal settings and can't log back in as my original name of MissM! This also means I can't read your last personal message so can you post it here if possible please?

I can't believe I've done this after 6 years on the board but I was fiddling about with my settings and brain fog descended....

I guess I've lost all my previous thread contributions and my status as 'Rootschat Senior' which I was proud of, despite it making me sounds really old!

Hope you get this after all my messing about!

Lynne

Offline MissM II

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 September 11 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Pegasuss,  thanks for your memories of Great Great Uncle Albert's shop.  As you've probably seen I also had a Great x 3 Uncle William who also had a shop!

I'm glad you have nice memories of Albert.  My Dad took me to the shop once when I was little in the 60's but it was shut.  He had worked there as a teenager in the 1920's so it was probably expecting a bit much for it still to be going!  It would have been wonderful for me and now, Rob to hear your mother's recollections too.

Lynne

I remember 'Moneypennys' (till I was @5Yrs old we lived over the road (in St Georges Street).

My Mother used to help out in the shop occasionally & Albert used to give me & my sisters a Free 'Icecream on a Stick'.

If my Mother was still alive she would be able to rattle off All sorts of little titbits of info.

As has been stated by others, your best bet would be the Central Library Records Office, they have all the old electoral rolls, Gores/Kellys & some school records (amongst other things).

Offline MissM II

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 02 September 11 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi SusieKelly

thanks for info abut the Moneypennys.  It corresponds with what Rob has been telling me as I do believe Richard known as Albert now.

Thanks for checking it out for me.  I've messed up my account settings trying to work out why I hadn't received notification of these messages but I've found out today that Hotmail was putting them into my Junk file!!! Hence the delay in replying!

Best wishes,
Lynne

Here are a list of Moneypenny's that lived in the area in 1960

Moneypenny, Bridget 12, Dawber Street
Moneypenny, Elizabeth 29, St. George’s Hill
Moneypenny, Lillian 29, St. George’s Hill
Moneypenny, Richard 29, St. George’s Hill

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 September 11 16:00 BST (UK) »
Lynne.

In the pic you posted at: Thursday 01 September 11 23:56 BST, the shop I remembered was the one on the right side.

Brings back Memories, we used to live over the road (St Georges St) till @Jan 1961.

Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rob Volp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 03 September 11 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

I often get brain fade, tooooo many user nams and passwords to remember eh?
Great photos of the shops, Mum is sure the one next to the pub is Alberts and the other is Willimas,
William was born on the 30th January 1900 and passed away on the 9th November 1972, Mum is not sure of Alberts dates but he was older than William.
My Uncle Terry at Wray (Dorothy Moneypennys husband) will probably be able to tell me more about the boys parents as they often went to Wray, am not sure but they may have owned a cottage in the village.
Have scanned 3 photos for you but they failed to upload when I tried to send first time. will try seperate posts.
1 has William on his own, 2 has Albert, Willaim, Lillian, Anne and I think the lass in the middle was Lillians sister. 3 has Thomas with Dorothy Moneypenny.

Still having upload issues :-( will try again
Rob