Author Topic: How to find a family?  (Read 3928 times)

Offline UKfamilyrecords

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
How to find a family?
« on: Tuesday 20 September 05 20:02 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to find this family without knowing where they came from?

E.g.
Michael Ramplin born circa 1897 son of James Ramplin a labourer was living at 7 Wellington Street, Widnes in 1918.

Michael married Catherine Connell at the Roman Catholic Church in Ditton, Prescot.

I did think about checking the births for Michael but wondered how many there would be with such a common name.
Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can make a start?

Regards,
Michelle
Researching family trees since 1985.
My family: Jackson of Southwark -- West of Brentford -- Adcock of Westminster -- Stevens of Westminster -- Wynes of Gloucestershire -- Randell of Hackney -- Hern of Berkshire -- Soanes of Oxfordshire -- Holman of Totnes -- Avery of North Tawton.

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How to find a family?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 21:20 BST (UK) »
Michelle:
I am a little confused. You have a place to begin, Prescot or Ditton. Or am I missing something?  Here is one site for Ramplins:

http://www.rgreen.org.uk/Ramplin.html

And here is a great site for Prescot with lots of old photos also going back to early 1900's.  http://history.knowsley.gov.uk/results/search_prescot.html

And here is the Genuki page:http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Prescot/

Here is link to Widnes genealogy group: http://www.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk/Widnes/Widnes%20Welcome.htm

Good luck,

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline UKfamilyrecords

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,
          Thanks for your message. The family came to Prescot from Ireland according to family oral history; research backs this up as there are no Ramplin(g)s in Widnes before 1919 (a couple at St Helens). There are certainly no James Ramplins and no Michael Ramplins. There is no Michael on the 1901 Census for England and Wales though there are a few James - mainly Suffolk.

There are three births in the Widnes area and two marriages only between 1900-1920, all from my family. This would suggest that they came from somewhere else, of course it does not have to be Ireland but if the statistics are combined with the oral history then it is a likely place. Though there are many Irish in Scotland... ;D

Regards,
Michelle
My family: Jackson of Southwark -- West of Brentford -- Adcock of Westminster -- Stevens of Westminster -- Wynes of Gloucestershire -- Randell of Hackney -- Hern of Berkshire -- Soanes of Oxfordshire -- Holman of Totnes -- Avery of North Tawton.

Offline saz1401

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 22:44 BST (UK) »
I tried BIVRI for your names but found no matches - sorry :(

saz
antrim, donegore, ballycraigy, doagh, ballysavage,  carnmoney, ballyhenry, belfast, mallusk, hydepark names - twigg, gault, robinson, stevenson, todd, kirkpatrick, porter, mayne, topping, McDowell, douglas

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 September 05 01:47 BST (UK) »
Connell is certainly an Irish name, Michelle. Oral history can be weak at times particularly if there are claims to Royalty. The oral history of your family looks good as they settled in an area on the east coast of England near a major seaport serving the Irish routes. My suggestion would be to consider looking at the Connell surname for the place of Catherine's birth. Look also for the birth place of her parents and grandparents. There is an outside chance that Catherine and Michael met in Ireland but married in England. The Ramplin surname may not appear in the Irish records. There is a possibility James Ramplin's father or grandfather worked as a farm labourer and lived with the farmer and his family. Only the name of the head of household appeared in many Irish records. Again, you may be lucky if you can establish the birthplace of Catherine in Ireland. If there was a large estate in that locality the estate records may produce something of interest to you. I am sorry this is all supposition but it is worth leaving all possible trails open for research.

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline UKfamilyrecords

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 September 05 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
   Thank you  for your replies. I do not know much about these families but I think I have found Catherine Connell on the 1901 Census with her family. She and her siblings were born in the Prescot area probably Halewood specifically, but her parents are denoted as being born in 'Ireland':
John Connell aged 39
Mary Connell aged 36

The family were not around in 1891 and the parents may have married in Ireland.

Thanks.

Offline saz1401

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 September 05 14:16 BST (UK) »
CONNELL, John   Age:   21   Marriage
   Wife:   Mary CLAYTON   Age:   26
   Marriage Date: 12 Feb 1877   
Recorded in:   Farrington, Lancashire, England
   Husband's Father:   William CONNELL
   Wife's Father:   Robert CLAYTON
Source:   FHL Film 1471152   Dates:   1873 - 1900

CONNELL, John   Age:   21   Marriage
   Wife:   Mary Ann BOOTHBY   Age:   18
   Marriage Date:   10 Oct 1896   Recorded in:   Preston, Lancashire, England
         Collection:   St Luke
   Husband's Father:   John CONNELL
   Wife's Father:   John Charles BOOTHBY
Source:   FHL Film 1471020   Dates:   1864 - 1900
antrim, donegore, ballycraigy, doagh, ballysavage,  carnmoney, ballyhenry, belfast, mallusk, hydepark names - twigg, gault, robinson, stevenson, todd, kirkpatrick, porter, mayne, topping, McDowell, douglas

Offline saz1401

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 September 05 14:18 BST (UK) »
oops - sorry pushed the wrong key!
I found the above on BIVRI - the dates are all wrong and dont fit with your ages on 1901 census but I think they may be from the right sort of area

saz

Offline Nessie

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 September 05 14:45 BST (UK) »
Widnes and Halewood are pretty close together near the Mersey. But at a guess I should say Preston and Farrington are about 50 miles away :) :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk