Author Topic: SIT: Jones from Wales? Smith of England?  (Read 15514 times)

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
SIT: Jones from Wales? Smith of England?
« on: Friday 23 September 05 05:07 BST (UK) »
Nine percent of the men in my family file are called John Jones. I am grateful :) this is actually bellow the average of men called John Jones from north west Wales families, where most of my brood come from!

I would like to put my JONES families into the database. When names are so common anything is worth a chance! But I don't want to be inundated by hundreds of PM's from people looking for "Jones from Wales"

I have stuck a couple of Jones into the database (my wife's father's family) where I can be very specific about the family:

JONES (Carneddau Farm, Nebo, Llanrwst) etc.

But my own ancestors, being labourers and domestic servants aren't as attached to a particular spot as my wife's posher ancestors.

I don't know how to reduce my Jones interest into a small enough "package" to manage.

I could enter something like:

JONES (John: Lvn Bethania Terr Ffestiniog: 1881 Cns)

But it would take hundreds of similar entries to add all my family and would fill the database with so many Jones. If everybody with Smith & Jones ancestors did the same, it would grind the database to a halt.

Perhaps the only answer is for us Smith & Joneses to accept that surname researches ain't made for the likes of us :( !

Unless, of course, somebody knows better!

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jones from Wales? Smith of England?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 October 05 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Dolgellau,

I'm not saying this is a 100% solution, but it may help a bit.

Check out the Version 3.01 of the Surname Interests Table.

I have added a facility to put county and place in each entry

But it would take hundreds of similar entries to add all my family and would fill the database with so many Jones. If everybody with Smith & Jones ancestors did the same, it would grind the database to a halt.

It would be a start to to add one line for for each county, and then, for the the main lines you are researching, add several lines, for each of the main place names.

If all JONES searchers would do this (112 searchers in the SIT !), then, you can at least do a bit of pre-sorting and, hopefully, won't
be inundated by hundreds of PM's from people looking for "Jones from Wales"

Bob

ps.
Same applies for all you 172 SMITH searchers out there !!!!

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Matty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 October 05 19:58 BST (UK) »
The good old name Smith 

My husband and two more of his brothers married girls called Smith

Is it because there are more of us????  or just coincedence?

Matty ;D ;D ;D

two of us are sisters!
McDermott Yorkshire & Ireland 
McNutt Lancashire &  Donegal Ireland 
McKinly Donegal Ireland
Culbert Donegal Ireland
Richardson Donegal Ireland
Booth,Crompton, Hamer, Jackson, Nuttall, Smith and Ward from Lancashire

"So near and yet so far"

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Bob

I dont have the JONES or SMITH problem...but a gt gt grandmother called Elizabeth HOWARD who m Sam WORKER in London, she was from Somerset and was widowed at a young age with 4 sons.  I cant see on later census, her boys were raised by others.

I dont know how to use 'version 3.01' and my laptop is about 15 years old & very tempremental.  Well, it is basically *nackered I think.

Is this version 3.01 useful and easy to use?

cathy
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Dont worry about replying Bob, I have worked it out  ;D

And less painfull than I thought!

It should be useful the more people there are on rootschat [sharing names]

cathy

Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 June 08 09:29 BST (UK) »
I have in my possession a 'Jones Marriage Certificate'.   My paternal grandfather Richard Jones married Elizabeth Jane Jones, obviously both fathers are Jones.   The witnesses were also all Jones as was the minister and would you believe, by coincidence, the Registrar. 

My mother's family was Jenkins so not a great deal of relief there!

Cheers Dave (Jones)
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 June 08 09:37 BST (UK) »
As this board is more concerned with the Surname Interests Table, and how to use it, I have split off various entries from here, to a new topic:

Topic: Keeping up with the JONES
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,313167.0.html

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 December 08 10:45 GMT (UK) »
In the villages round here (mid Wales) where most families are Jones, Davies or Morgan, people are known by their farm or house name.  Hence Owen Davies of Ty Mawr would be Owen Ty Mawr and as we lived at Bear House, my OH was known as  Mike the Bear.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Breezy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SIT: Jones from Wales? Smith of England?
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 December 14 22:06 GMT (UK) »
I have a guy smith from biggleswade uk was my grandfather immigrated to Canada lived in Wpg.