Author Topic: mcgowans  (Read 2143 times)

Offline vinty222

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
mcgowans
« on: Friday 23 September 05 08:20 BST (UK) »
 im looking for any news pf patrick mcgowan and wife who left ireland  in the 1850s  her name was margaret dearin, they went to scotland  with there 5 children
                          your sincerly patrick mcgowan
                            email MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spam and other abuses. Please use personal message system to share email addresses and other personal details. Thank You

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: mcgowans
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 06:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello vinty,

What denomination was Patrick McGowan and his family? Were they members of the Catholic faith, the Established Church (Anglicans or Church of Ireland) or members of the Presbyterian Church?

You'll have to rely on Irish Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist. 

Have you been able to get any information from Scottish records?

Christopher

Offline vinty222

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 07:33 GMT (UK) »
 im not sure about the mother and father  , the children were married in baillieston catholic church , thanks christopher
                patrick mcgowan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 15:27 GMT (UK) »
What sort of information are you looking for about the McGowans? If they lived in Scotland you'll have census records, birth, death and marriage records, etc. to look up online (depending on dates covered).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!