Author Topic: Kirgans of Ballymoney  (Read 18575 times)

Offline aerial

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kirgans of Ballymoney
« on: Friday 23 September 05 22:21 BST (UK) »
My GF (b1894) John McDonald of Inverness married Jane Kirgan of Ballymoney.I dont know when and I dont know where (he spent time in the American west before reurning to Scotland).
I just cant find any Kirgans to start a trace. ???

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Kirgans of Ballymoney
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 September 05 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Aerial,

I am a strong believer in bad education and misspelling in the 1800s being the reason why many people people hit brick walls when researching their family trees. I feel that Kirgan was probably Kerrigan at one stage. I tried both Kirgan and Kergan. I had no success. Then I tried Kerrigan and got a large number of families throughout Ireland during the period of the Griffiths Valuation of Ireland 1848 - 1864. Do not be afraid to consider researching some of the spelling variations. It may well be beneficial in the long run. http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline aerial

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 September 05 02:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Christopher,I will let you know how I get on.

Offline aerial

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 September 05 06:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christopher,
 I am now into the Ballymoney sites,
                                      Alistair

Offline dswellydave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 February 10 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I believe that the Jane Kirgan you are related to was born to my wifes Grandparents in Ballymoney in 1878. Her birth certificate is ;Vol 1 Page 136 4th Quarter 1878. These certificates can be ordered from the Irish Records Office in Dublin.

The name Kirgan I ahve traced back to 1750 or thereabouts. I have found links back to th 1600's although I cannot tie them in & they are very tenuous.

Kirgans (also spelt Kergan, with McKirgan as a dererative) seem to hail mostly from North Co Antrim in N Ireland. There area a few pockets in other palces on theisland, but it seems Ballymoney (families normally are to be found north of Ballymena but south of Ballymoney) is the epicentre.

I have been researching for quite a few years now, but due to the lack of Irish records (it seems that the Kirgan family did not have a lot of money & so never left a large amount of hisory behind them) it is hard to get back much beyond 1800.  A number of American Kirgan have the benefit of history that was taken to the americas by the family so if you are lucky & tie in with them then you can easily get back further.

If I can be of any more help please feel free to contact me.
Many thanks D

Offline dswellydave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 February 10 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Another message. I have checked my records & have found another Jane Kirgan who was the daughter of Richard Kirgan & Mary Lynn from Ballyportery, Ballymoney. She was born on 24 Jan 1876. This DOB might make her a bit old for your John McDonald but I thought I would let you know anyhow. I do not have any more information on them other than that. The previous Jane I have much more information. We never could find out what happened to her other than her birth, although some of the older family members always talked of links to Scotland & Glasgow in particular. Father was Samuel Kirgan. mother was Eliza Russell.The following are noted extrracted re a John Kirgan killed near Ypres in WW1 ; RIFLEMAN IN ROYAL IRISH RANGERS.
DEATH RECORDED IN COI. BALLYMONEY.
LISTED IN SOLDIERS WHO DIED IN THE GREAT WAR (REFERENCE WORK) ENLISTED IN BELFAST.  5790  WAS A RIFLEMAN ROYAL IRISH RIFLES.  KILLED IN ACTION IN F&F  (FRANCE AND FLANDERS) 2nd BATTALION.
DIED AT AGE 25 . NOK WAS MOTHER ELIZA KIRGAN OF 1 BRAND STREET
                                                LOME SQUARE
                                                IBROX GLASGOW DEATH RECORDED ON THE MENNIN GATE MEMORIAL, IEPRES OR IEPERS BELGIUM. PANEL 40 ROYAL IRISH RIFLES. HAS NO KNOWN BURIAL SITE.....
INFORMATION FROM COMMONWEALTH WAR GRAVES COMMISION 0628 34221 (MAIDSTONE)
Once again if I can be of any more help please contact me.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 February 10 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat but aerial hasn't been back online since 2006 so may not see your messages.
Meanwhile, there are lots of church records in Ballymoney are which might help but not sure which Kirgan family you are trying to trace.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lochaberlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 May 10 17:09 BST (UK) »
According to Jane Kirgan's death certificate (Glasgow, 30 January 1932), her father was Samuel Kirgan (farmer) and her mother was  Elizabeth Kirgan (nee Russell).   Jane died aged 49 years and, by that time, both of her parents were already deceased.

Offline lochaberlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 May 10 17:11 BST (UK) »
Aerial,
if you want further info about John McDonald's family, go to my website www.lochabermacdougalls.co.uk