Author Topic: Irish Exodus - Help!!  (Read 1607 times)

Offline KoKo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Irish Exodus - Help!!
« on: Saturday 24 September 05 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi RootsChatters,

From the replies to other posts in this forum it has become clear that there are no records for those involved in the "Irish Exodus" in the mid 1800's.

There fore how do I trace my ancestors whose records in the UK (Census returns for 1861,1871 etc) state the place of birth as "Ireland"

There are more Kavanagh's in Ireland than Smiths in England........nearly.

My Gt Gt Grandad was Peter Kavanagh who was born in Ireland in 1811. He came to England between 1846 and 1851. (Son John was born in Ireland in 1846 and Son Peter in Cheshire in 1851).

Any advice (apart from give up!!) would be appreciated.

Thanks

KoKo
Kavanagh - Hartington, Derbyshire
Kavanagh - Buxton, Derbyshire
Kavanagh - Macclesfield Cheshire
Riley - Sheen, Staffordshire
Dent - Wensleydale Yorkshire
Schofield - Derbyshire / Lancashire
Marks - Nationwide !!

Dent, Leyburn and Newbiggin, Yorks

Offline Philip

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Exodus - Help!!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 November 05 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi KoKo
We are in exactly the same boat, We have been trying for two years now to locate the my wifes gt gt grandfathers birthplace? We have English census records and as you say they they say birthplace Ireland We do have one of the children on the 1871 census in Stockport as saying Antrim Ireland, We are still waiting for any threads we have posted, Janet's gt gt grandfather Samuel McCalpin died in Stockport 1866 age 69.puts his birth at 1797, Married Margaret (no last name given on the census)  Margaret was born in (yes you guessed it Scotland) where in Scotland? Census puts her birthdate at abt 1816? We have census records for the kids Ester born Ireland 1851, Samuel (my wifes gt grandfather) Born 1853 Ireland, Hannah Born 1857 Ireland, Margaret Born 1861 Ireland, So KoKo good luck also with your searches, I think our next visit back home we will have to take a trip to Ireland and try to delve in the records, Take care Philip & Janet Palmer Apache Junction Arizona

Moderator Comment.

Email addy removed.  Please use Personal Messaging system to exchange personal data.[/color]
Brinkley, Weld, Hutton,Craves, Lloyd, Brooke, Carleton, Alexander, King ,Vernon,Drought,Cox,(ALL DUBLIN)      ,Ford (Cork)  McCalpin,( Ulster) Armagh/Antrim.    Palmer, Catt, Boulter, Rust, Brinkley, Roberson, (All Suffolk). Laishley,( Hampshire), Biddlestone,Dudley, Cox (Staffs) McCalpin (Stockport, Ireland Scotland) Storer (Birmingham) Froggatt (Staffs)

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 November 05 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi both and welcome to Rootschat ;D

I thought you might like to look at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=78216.new;topicseen#new

If you have not done so already

Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline Philip

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 November 05 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Wendi
I guess its just a matter of waiting and have a little patience? I have found my roots back to the 1590s in England, My wifes family from Ireland has proved to be a little more of a challenge, As I have seen there must be a lot of people in the same boat, Living here now in the States is a little difficult to get hands on information, I retire next year (don't hold your breath?) we are planning to visit Ireland. Thank you again,  Philip & Janet Palmer.
Brinkley, Weld, Hutton,Craves, Lloyd, Brooke, Carleton, Alexander, King ,Vernon,Drought,Cox,(ALL DUBLIN)      ,Ford (Cork)  McCalpin,( Ulster) Armagh/Antrim.    Palmer, Catt, Boulter, Rust, Brinkley, Roberson, (All Suffolk). Laishley,( Hampshire), Biddlestone,Dudley, Cox (Staffs) McCalpin (Stockport, Ireland Scotland) Storer (Birmingham) Froggatt (Staffs)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 05 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning KoKo and Philip,

Thaanks for the kind words in the PM the other day Philip.

This site should enable you both to find family names. Whether you succeed in finding ancestors is a different matter. Christian names coming down the generations sometimes are helpful particularly if there is a surname type name. http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

Neither of you have mentioned the faith followed by your ancestors.

KoKo, keep an eye on the Peters on the list. East Coast of Ireland to West Coast of England might be worth considering but that is a suggestion.
I regret, unlike purchasing a car, a guarantee is not supplied with the suggestion.

Philip, you have a few months before you and your wife visit Ireland. If you are lucky there may be a few good trails for you to follow by the time you step off the plane onto Irish soil or at least the concrete at the foot of the steps leading from the plane. 

Good Luck to you both with your research,  Chris

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 November 05 07:48 GMT (UK) »
G'Day ALL!
Just a suggestion,my addiction started with the same problem,being a non superannuated person didnt help when the question of pay for info came up.So,being the obstinate g## I am ,went trawling for about two years on every site with the 'NAME' mentioned.Now there are four notebooks,scratchpads etc;only awaiting the expensive info to connect or reject the names.One other thing learned was to take note of any intermarriages,place names,neighbours names,and not forgetting events in history of the time.
Sounds tough, but I can honestly say that its been really absorbing,and with the help youll get on this site a darn sight easier,oh yes,and a heck of a lot of laughs thrown  in!!!
I wish you well in your quest,and a speedy 'tickle'to spur you on.
         Goggy. ;)

Offline Jillie42

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 March 06 16:21 GMT (UK) »
I have much the same problem. My Harrington RC ancestors just put "Ireland" on their census returns and I've got no idea where they came from. I suspect my Gt Grandfather went back to Ireland and possibly died there as there is record of him in the English GRO indexes. Without a location in Ireland I've got little chance of finding out what eventually happened to him. Very frustrating ???
Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 March 06 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hei Jill,

This is where Griffiths Valuation of Ireland comes in handy. If you do not where in Ireland your ancestor was born it enables you to spot the locations where a surname may be found. It is OK if ancestor was a property owner - search initially in areas with the highest density of a surname and gradually work your way to locations where there were only a few people with the surname. If your ancestors were agricultural labourers the search may prove difficult as the property would probably be in the name of his employer.

I feel people who have more than one Christian name sometimes give a clue. In my case my names are Christopher Hulme before my surname. The Christopher could be from anywhere but the Hulme (my grandmother's maiden name) is a surname found in Lancashire where she was born.   

This is a good site as it enables you to cross check surnames which were found in the same parish - http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm

All the Best,

Christopher

Offline Jillie42

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 March 06 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Christopher,

the link doesn't seem to be working at the moment. I'll give it another try later. Hopefully I can winnow down the various counties if the Harringtons, Collins and Conollys can all be found coming from the same place. I've a feeling the Harringtons were very poor and probely would be listed under a landowner's name ???
Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)