Author Topic: BBC: A Challenge for Rootschatters  (Read 48246 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
Re: BBC: A Challenge for Rootschatters
« Reply #135 on: Friday 28 April 06 14:23 BST (UK) »

WOW . . .  It was like reading one of those can'tputitdownforgetaboutdinnerdoyourownbl**dywashingleavemealone mystery novels!!  Well done everybody.

I do so hope you get an answer from the RAF.  May I suggest contacting the Chaplain of the RAF base . . . they usually have a finger in the pie of everything happening on base and you may have more luck there.  Ms Raftree may have been posted and no longer on that base.

Good luck

Barbara         8)
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Paul E

« Reply #136 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 10:24 BST (UK) »
Does anyone else think its wonderful that the person trying to sort out the family history of these flyers is called Sue RAF Tree?

;D ;D ;D

Well done everybody for the work you've all put in on this!

Paul

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Saturday 06 May 06 21:39 BST (UK) »
WOW . . .  It was like reading one of those can'tputitdownforgetaboutdinnerdoyourownbl**dywashingleavemealone mystery novels!!

I agree with you there Barbara, i have just found this topic
and read it all. First Rootschatters help the A Policeman solve a case, Now The R.A.F are getting Help. Fantastic, hope you have all got new frocks for your television appearance ;) I shall wait for the next chapter of the story :)

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Saturday 06 May 06 23:44 BST (UK) »
It's awesome isn't it :-) ... and a great reminder of how powerful the internet can be..... and i STILL haven't heard back from the RAF after my 25 April email..... :-(

Photo attached of (from l to r) Bob (Josies second husband), Josie (formerly Moss nee Hicken) and Bobs brother Norman Johnston.  Photo taken November 1945 in Wellington, New Zealand.

Sarns
www.angelfire.com/ok/nzfamily
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline sarah e

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Great granddad Wilson
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Saturday 13 May 06 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Folks,
                   Sorry to take so long to get back to you but I have had computer problems and then had to move house. I recieved an e-mail a couple of weeks ago from Sue Raftree to say that thanks to us they had managed to trace relatives of the air men and were flying them out to holland for the funeral. She also said to pass on thanks to all of you lot from the RAF and the families. So hows that for a result.
                      take care and thanks for all the help
                                        Sarah
Glendenning
Laycock
Wilson
Garnett
(Halifax, Shelf, Hunslet, Bradford, Manningham, Leeds)

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Saturday 13 May 06 11:19 BST (UK) »
WOWWW! THAT IS TERRIFIC!

If there are any news links to the ceremonies etc please post them if you see them...sometimes these can be a bit obscure... i'll keep my eye out on bbc.co.uk anyway.

Thanks again for keeping us up to date Sarah

Cheers
Sarndra
New Zealand

ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline familysearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Saturday 13 May 06 12:05 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry i missed the fun!

well done all.

Has anyone contacted the BBC to let them know yet?

Sue
Geen - Glamorgan/Devon/Birmingham
Lewis - Glamorgan/Monmouthshire
Cutter - Co Durham/Northumberland/Yorkshire
Hunter - Co Durham/Northumberland/Yorkshire
Siveter/Siviter - Birmingham

Census infromation is  Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 13:29 BST (UK) »
Another contact wrote to me a few days back to say that the official burial service is planned for 28 August this year - the 64th anniversary of the loss.

Just incase anyone was interested.

Cheers
Sarndra
www.angelfire.com/ok/nzfamily

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 14:42 BST (UK) »

Great work everyone!

Sniff  :'(  I do like a good ending...

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins