Author Topic: LARCHER - French Huguenot  (Read 28266 times)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: LARCHER - French Huguenot
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 01 March 12 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Certainly that is how the majority of them crossed the channel, they bribed the small trading vessels that crossed between the ports to take them hidden in the cargo. There were patrols of the King's troops on all the coastal ports to prevent this, and if caught they faced prison (one of mine was and they were put in a dungeon for over two years, their young children taken away). They automatically forfieted all land and property to the crown by fleeing the realm, which was a criminal act, so obviously they would try to convert as much of their assets as they could before this, without raising suspicions, into small easily smuggled items such as jewels, so there may well be truth in the family tale!
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline NZtabbycat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 01 March 12 23:07 GMT (UK) »
I can't wait to tell my elderly mother. She thought that somebody with that amount of jewelry must be part of the aristocracy.

I wish I knew where it all went after that. I guess it paid a few bills and set them up in business.

Thanks again
Avon

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 01 March 12 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Protestantism was largely confined to the mercantile classes, and skilled workers such as the weavers, who were I suppose what would be considered in England lower to upper middle class, and the aristocracy which in the 16th century split along religious lines into armed camps which sparked the religious wars (Henry IV was a Huguenot, but converted to Catholicism to take the throne famously stating 'Paris was worth a mass'). So they were generally wealthier then the majority catholics of the farming class. The reason behind this was protestantism tended to be spread by 'banned' books and pamphlets  coming into the kingdom from the neighbouring Protestant states especially Germany, and these were the literate classes.  That said the refuge was a great leveller and most tended to reach England in the same state destitute. The sailors knew they were likely to be carrying hidden goods on them and they were open to be robbed or they would refuse to take them without higher bribes etc.
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline karennewman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 20 January 13 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
Ive had to re register so am now under a new name, I was fantasy fudge!!
Ive been googling the name LARCHER to see what comes up and have discovered a little village in Poitou Charentes inFrance called CHATEAU LARCHER.
Has anyone come across this before and do you think that the Larchers may have something to do with this village?
Also any idea who I would contact to find out?
Thanks
Karen

Offline carinthiangirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 20 January 13 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Larcher-name in Tyrol, about Lärche = larch
book about familynames in Tirol&Vorarlberg shows being most from Wipptal (Wipp-valley south of Innsbruck) and Landeck, both in North-Tyrol (Austria) and also Eisacktal (Eisack-valley in South-Tyrol, since 1919 Italy).
oldest finding in a document of year 1397! "Perchtold Larcher auz Aschel (Vöran)" = Berchtold Larcher from Aschel (Vöran).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%B6ran
http://maps.google.at/maps?hl=de&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&pq=aschel&cp=4&gs_id=7w&xhr=t&q=v%C3%B6ran&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41248874,d.Yms&biw=1366&bih=538&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

similar names are Larch and Lardschneider (larch-cutter).

as you have stated french Huguenot - have you proof on this?
so there can have been once a tyrolean Larcher who fled because became a protestant?
Wandern "Auf den Spuren der Hugenotten und Waldenser"
Hiking "In the Footsteps of the Huguenots and Waldenses"
http://www.hugenotten-waldenserpfad.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=60
Based on the story of the exile of refugees very important Swiss border town of Schaffhausen runs the cultural trail on the southern slopes of the Swabian Alb, further along the Neckar .... and so on.
Schaffhausen: http://maps.google.at/maps?hl=de&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&cp=11&gs_id=63&xhr=t&q=schaffhausen&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41248874,d.Yms&biw=1366&bih=538&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Offline carinthiangirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 21 January 13 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Château-Larcher
The village today is called "Château-Larcher". Latin, it was once called "Castrum Achardi", meaning "stronghold of Achard". That was the name of the person which has rebuilt at the end of the 10th Century. It was then called Châtel-Achard or Chasteau-Achard. In the 11th Century appeared the first of his name changes. They began to formulate: "Chastel-Acherd", "Chastel-Acher", "Chastellacher", and then "Chastellachair" or "Chastel-Archier". Up to eighteen variants are known, which are occupied by documents of the Middle Ages. first time in 1627 in a printing emerged the modern name "Château-Larcher" in, but has little relation to the original meaning.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau-Larcher
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau-Larcher

Offline karennewman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you for the information.
This is my tree with regards to the French Huguenots, Im going back from my Great grandmother.
ALICE JESSIE KIGHT BORN 1876
Her mother
MARY ANN WATLEY Born 1841 Whitechapel   married Francis Kight
Her mother
HARRIET LARCHER Born 1811 Shoreditch      marriedThomas Watley
Her father
ANDREW LARCHER Born 1777 Shoreditch  married Rebecca Judith Martley ?
His father
JOHN LARCHER  Born 1740 Wandsworth  married  Anne Richards ?
His father
ANDREW LARCHER born 1713 Wandsworth  married  Anne Field ?
His father
PHILLIPE LARCHER Born 1676 in Poitou Charentes  married  Marie Brossard ?
His father
JAQUES LARCHER Born abt 1650 in Poitou Charentes  married Judith Groust ?

Can someone have a look at this and tell me if I have this right please?

Also im pretty sure about the men as have looked at records ect for them but I am unsure about the women that they married, particularly the ones with the question marks by.

Thanks in advance.

Karen

Offline Niggles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 04 March 18 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'm not sure of this thread is still active but I found out last week that I too have some Larchers in my family tree and wondered if anyone could give me some help or advice as to finding some more information about them as to be honest I'm stuck!

I'm related to a Philip and Mary Larcher but haven't been able to find out any details about them, marriage, birth, death etc.

They had 3 children, Mary  baptised 11 November 1781, Philip 14 Mar 1784 and George 31 July 1785, all baptised at St Leonards, Shoreditch. No occupation is given for Philip (snr) but he was living in Crown Court. Mary was married to a Samuel Jones at St Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney on 6 Feb 1803 and the witness was Philip Larcher (I assume her father rather than brother)

But that's all I know about them, do you think Philip (snr) could be related to the Larchers that have previously been talked about in Wandsworth that moved to the East End? frustratingly I can't find a birth for Philip (snr) either in the Shoredicth or Wandsworth areas that would fit.

Any help or advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Nigel
Parker - Shoreditch, Finsbury, Islington, Ely
Manley - Shoreditch, Hackney
Moody - Hackney, Walthamstow
Lazzam - City of London, Shoreditch, Bethnal Green
Coburn - Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire
Tarrant - Cambridgeshire
Taylor- Essex, Cambridgeshire

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 04 March 18 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hallo, Niggles.

Another Larcher descendant - Yay!

I don't have your Philip & Mary in my tree, but I have only looked at siblings of my line, not the siblings' children.  Given that my refugee ancestor Philippe (1676-1743) had a grandson named Philip (b1735) I would not be surprised if there is a link.  I will do some digging and see what I can find.

Rootschatter Richarde1979 (who posted below) has an amazing amount of information.  He was online a couple of weeks ago, so he should spot your post.  It could be worth your while to send him a personal message just to be sure.

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk