Author Topic: LARCHER - French Huguenot  (Read 28263 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
LARCHER - French Huguenot
« on: Sunday 25 September 05 11:35 BST (UK) »
Is anybody tracing the Larcher family - they came over to England (around 1700 to 1750?) and some ended up in Bethnal Green.  On the 1861 census there were 17 Larchers working as silk weavers in Bethnal Green but only one was still weaving in 1871.

I'm particularly interested in finding details of Elizabeth Larcher, who marrried John Monks on 25.05.1828 at St Matthew's, Bethnal Green.

Any help would be gratefully received!
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Julie K

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LARCHER - French Huguenot
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 March 06 16:58 GMT (UK) »
There was more than one Larcher family, some references are pre 1700. I think your Elizabeth is either daughter of Andrew & Rebecca Judith Larcher, ba 4.5.1808 Shoreditch St Leonards or possibly daughter of Andrew & Sarah ba 25.7.1802 Christchurch Spitalfields. I don't think this is a 2nd marriage as there is a child for each couple ba in 1806 but it's not certain.
My 4 x g. grandfather is Peter Larcher who first appears as a schoolmaster in Saffon Walden in 1784. He moved to Littlebury and then to Great Baddow Essex where he was head of the endowed school teaching maths, French, latin, english, geography, navigation and surveying. School also had a french dancing master. I have been unable to trace Peter's origins for over 15 years. The only Peter Larcher mentioned on the IGI is the wrong one as he became a sailor- see death duty registers.
I do have more info on Larchers - I make a note of whatever I find on the name. If you can help me on my line that would make my year!

Julie

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 March 06 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hallo, Julie, and welcome to Rootschat.

Many thanks for your message.

I don't have much information on the Larchers - I had found the two Elizabeths you mention, also Elizabeth Mary, b 22.04.1988 Bethnal Green, dr of Thomas & Elizabeth.

At the moment the Larchers are on hold until I identify Elizabeth's parents, but I will gladly share any information I dig up.

All the best
Philip

Offline HMD22

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Can  you link to Mary Ann Larcher who married John Dormer in 1821 in Whitechapel St Mary according to the Pallot Marriage index.
From subsequent census data she would have been born about 1801.

John Dormer was a silk weaver in Bethnal Green, and by family tradition was Huguenot.
Children included Mary Ann Christiana bap 1822, John Alfred Dormer bap 1824, Sarah Rebecca, William Henry, Elizabeth Amelia, Charles Edwin, Edwin Josiah, Louisa Ann, Emily Elizabeth, Edwin Walter., all baptised at Bethnal Green St Matthew

Ancestry also gives a second Pallot Marriage index entry for John Dormer and Mary Ann Larcher in 1805.

DIGNUM in Northfleet, Kent and London
HOPE in Kent
DORMER, LARCHER, DEAR in Bethnal Green
STEPTO in Middlesex
SOTCHER in Sussex
TEMPERO in Oxfordshire
ASH(E) Avebury, Wiltshire and Chelsea
BAKER, SCOTT in South Molton, Devon
RICHARDS in St Stephen in Brannel, Cornwall
HOCKET(T) in Prittlewell, Essex
FOWLER in Brierley Hill, Staffordshire
SPORLE, WILSHER in Middlesex

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 March 07 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hallo, and welcome to Rootschat

I have a tangle of information on Larchers in and around Spitalfields/Bethnal Green - it's waiting for me to find the time to do some serious digging andjoining up the fragments..

The only Mary Ann Larcher I know of was born around 1805 in St Georges in the East. I don't know if Larcher was her maidenname or her married nameand I don't know who hjer parents were.

Sorry, this doesn't help, but  I will let you know when I find out more.

Philip

Offline hamandpineapple

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 May 07 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

My Larcher was also a Mary Ann, born c 1808 Shoreditch. She married David Crofts at St Matthew Bethnal Green in 1825. By 1851 she was a widow and working as one of those silk weavers!

I believe she was the daughter of Thomas Larcher and Elizabeth Ore, who married at St Leonards, Shoreditch in 1796

Have only just started looking at this family, so any 'leads' gratefully received!

Hamandpineapple
Norfolk: Harcourt, Jermy, Goodbody, Curteys/Curtis, Cubitt
Essex: Beard, Everett, Wesbroom, Cole, Rist, Wright, Finch,Lemon, Warren, Walford, Blaxall
London: Clements, Friswell, Wade, Terry, Crofts, Larcher, Quarrell
Suffolk: Housego, Woodgate, Mumford, Dewes/Deuce
Suffolk/Norfolk/Essex/London: Botham
Bucks: Mackerness, Crook, Braisher, Haddock, Brown, Shank
Kent: Boys
Berks: Champ
Lancs: Pollard, Garlick, Duerden
Wilts: Carter
Bristol: Wookey
Oxf: Belson, Potts, Scholes, East

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 February 10 23:10 GMT (UK) »
It's a bit of a hypothesis at present, but I have Rebecca Judith Larcher born abt 1780 possible husband Andrew. Their daughter  Elizabeth Larcher married John Monks both born abt 1808

John and Elzabeth had 7 children inc. Wm Monks born 1842 Spitalfields.  Wm married Rosina Lyon Southwark 1862.  Of their 9 children Rosina died before marriage, Elizabeth married Robert Mills Fulham  and had a daughter who was with her  grandmother C1901  but listed as daughter.
James Marks is also listed as a son.

Barefoot, Barley, Bedborough, Benett, Blandy, Brown, Clements, Doucett, Fisher, Franklin, Goodchild, Greenwood, Heath, Horwood, Osmond, Westbury: Berks/Berks and Wilts.

Woodhouse: Montgomeryshire

Booth, Braddock, Drabble, Hatton, Henshaw, Whitehead: Tameside and Cheshire

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 February 10 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hallo flipflops

My line goes as follows:
John MONKS m Elizabeth LARCHER 25/05/1828 Bethnal Green
children were Ann, Sarah, John, William (m Rosina LYON), Thomas, Mary, Henry (m Alice)

William MONKS m Elizabeth LARCHER 12/10/1862
children were William, Thomas, Rosina, Elizabeth (m Robert MILLS), Annie (m Harry MOUNT), Albert, Charlotte (m ?), John, Lousa (m Ernest RAYMOND)

Annie MONKS m Harry MOUNT 25/08/1901 - their son Harry was my Grandfather, their daughter Minnie is still living)

The three daughters of William and Elizabeth daughters were all war widows.

I have a potential father for Elizabeth LARCHER, - George, a silk weaver. Other than that my research into the LARCHER line has not got very far.

Where does your line fit in?  I would love to hear.
All the best
Philip

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 May 10 18:09 BST (UK) »
A witness on Elizabeth's marriage to John Monks was Andrew Larcher which might support her being the daughter of Andrew and Rebecca Judith as mentioned by Julie K, of New Inn Court. If so it looks as though she may have sisters Esther of Worship Street born 4th Jun bapt 2 Sep1804.
Mary Ann of Worship Street,  born 13 Apr, bap 4 May 1806
Brother Andew of Worship Street  bapt  13 May 1813 father's occ weaver.
and possibly Thomas Mark born 15 Jan 1820 son of Andrew and Rebecca, maternal grandfather John Martley
Barefoot, Barley, Bedborough, Benett, Blandy, Brown, Clements, Doucett, Fisher, Franklin, Goodchild, Greenwood, Heath, Horwood, Osmond, Westbury: Berks/Berks and Wilts.

Woodhouse: Montgomeryshire

Booth, Braddock, Drabble, Hatton, Henshaw, Whitehead: Tameside and Cheshire