Author Topic: Laxton pre 1840 marriage lookup HOLMES  (Read 1417 times)

Offline cerjoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Laxton pre 1840 marriage lookup HOLMES
« on: Monday 26 September 05 10:16 BST (UK) »
Samuel Holmes and Sarah from Nottinghamshire.  Sarah may be a widow with son George.
Samuel and Sarah plus George and William immigrated to Australia as bounty immigrants on the 'Champion' 5th of Oct 1840. William was six, George was nine. The shipping information suggests they were from Layton which I've interpreted as Laxton because I found a William born to a Samuel and Sarah on the IGI for 7 April 1834 at Laxton. A Hannah was born to them as well, though she didn't make the ship.
Would love to know more although I will be going to order the parish films from the LDS

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Laxton pre 1840 marriage lookup HOLMES
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 September 05 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi cerjoy :)

Nothing obvious on the Notts Family History Society marriage index, although it's not complete. There is a marriage of a Samuel Holmay (sic) and Sarah Wilson at Newark 17/07/1828, and they appear to have had a son John there in 1829. Not too far from Laxton but I don't think they are yours.

A marriage of a Samuel and Sarah in East Bridgford 1829 on the IGI, which I'm sure you've seen. But this couple is most likely to be the Samuel and Sarah raising children in Shelford.

I suggest you order Hannah's birth cert. She may not have survived but there is a fair chance she will unlock the mystery and give you her mother's maiden name. The details are :-

Hannah Holmes Jun 1839 Southwell  reference 15 669

By the way, do you have an approx. birth year for Samuel and Sarah?

Heather
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cerjoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 September 05 11:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Heather,
Since posting this request, I've had a reply from someone who turns out to be related.
She says Samuels parents are Samuel and Sarah.  Samuel born 27.10.1811 in Nottingham. Wife Sarah was Sarah Lamling/Lammaman born 24.10.1810 where? Father Abraham Lammaman mother Elizabeth Hamstone Spalding.
Samuel and Sarah were married 5.6.1831 in Gainsbrough Lincolnshire.
Their children she said included Thomas 7.1.1838 born Shelford.

This is great information but I'll have to prove it.  Really, I'm so amazed at your help and the help from the new family.
I'd be grateful if you could look at this new information in any records you have to see if it looks ok.

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 05 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

when it comes to Lincolnshire, I have limited resources. Just my opinion, but I'd be asking how your contact arrived at her findings and what her sources are ...and I know it sounds a bit ungrateful to get back to people, querying their research! It's a tricky one.

Gainsborough is about 20 miles from Laxton, so maybe. Spalding (where Sarah was baptised) is about 55/60 miles from each. Not impossible but not awfully likely as there is another Sarah Lammaman who married John Mannell 1831 in Spalding.

Can't see a baptism for Samuel to Samuel and Sarah in 1811 either (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist). There is one at Nottingham in 1806 ...

So unless you are 100% happy with the research kindly given you, I would just bear it in mind and continue to try and prove or disprove it. Are you both agreed that William was born in Laxton? If so, then I think you need Hannah's birth cert. to get to their mother's name.

Good luck!
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 September 05 12:25 BST (UK) »
By the way, there is also

Elizabeth Holmes baptised Southwell 21/11/1836 to Samuel and Sarah, their abode being given as Laxton (source Notts FHS baptism index)

Offline wilkipet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 September 05 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, In view of Laxton ancient status where it still operates the three field system of agriculture, there must be extensive manorial records still in existence. try Southwell Minster for details.
Gerald
Wilkinson-farnham, fell-notts, Bolton-notts,Holmes-Derby's, yeomans-Derby's, shaw-Derby's. Davies-Glam, Tilling-Glos, Gibby, Harries-Pembrokeshire,Godley-Whitwell etc. coalminiing migration