Author Topic: Carr - biscuit makers of Carlisle  (Read 13261 times)

Offline luna151

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carr - biscuit makers of Carlisle
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 July 12 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hello - I am descended from these Carrs - I would love to know what you have discovered and I can tell you a bit about my side of them.  Email me at (*) :)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Oletta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 July 12 20:08 BST (UK) »
The book called Rich Desserts and Captains Thin a family and their times, I have read this book I would strongly recommend that you read this book.  It has the family tree in the front of the book but tells you alot about the family. Once you start reading you can't put it down.

Regards

Oletta

Offline hheapet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 July 12 20:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Oletta, I did read the book and found that the only'eligable' males were working in China so that closed the family story of a connection.

Peter
Staffordshire - Egan - Talbot - Wainwright - Scally - Horsley-Thacker
Ireland - Egan (Mayo) Scally (Roscommon)
Australia - Egan
Cheshire - Taylor-Goodier-Bagnall-Carless-Hancock-Barker-Stubbs-Hough-Marsland-Jones-Barrow-Cowap Horsley-Dixon
Cumberland - Musgrove
Berwick - Swinney-Ford-McLeod
Edinburgh - Swinney
Worcester - Maggs

Offline Glen Barwick

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi I am a Decendant My Grandmother is Margaret Irene Barwick nee Carr who ran away to Kent after a new life with her then boyfriend whom she married she died in December 2010 aged 102 I too am trying to piece together the family tree

Offline hheapet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Glen, welcome to rootschat.

I was searching for confirmation of a family tale regarding my grandmother and her possible father. Her mother worked at the Carr factory in Carlisle and my gran was born in the local workhouse. I could find no connection as the eligable males went off to missionary work in China. I did find the book ' Rich Desserts and Captains Thin A Family and their Times by Margaret Forster' very interesting and it has a lot of family history in it. My local library did not have a copy but another in the county did and they arranged for it to be sent to me.

Peter
Staffordshire - Egan - Talbot - Wainwright - Scally - Horsley-Thacker
Ireland - Egan (Mayo) Scally (Roscommon)
Australia - Egan
Cheshire - Taylor-Goodier-Bagnall-Carless-Hancock-Barker-Stubbs-Hough-Marsland-Jones-Barrow-Cowap Horsley-Dixon
Cumberland - Musgrove
Berwick - Swinney-Ford-McLeod
Edinburgh - Swinney
Worcester - Maggs

Offline Tracey1408

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 August 17 19:07 BST (UK) »
Just came across this while researching my family tree. Does anyone know if there was a Cyril Carr?

Family rumour is that a Cyril Carr part of the Carr biscuit family married my 2 x great grandmother and his family disapproved. And before his death he set  my great grandfather and his own son ( my great grand fathers half brother up with businesses). But I can't find any mention of a Cyril Carr

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 August 17 22:04 BST (UK) »

In a “previous life”, I worked at Carr’s of Carlisle.  I remember one day there was a terrible “rumpus”.  A customer had found a piece of metal in one of his biscuits.  The management wrote to the customer and asked him to send the biscuit back, but try as they might, the customer would not.

In desparation they invited him up to Carlisle, paid his train fare, took him out to lunch and gave him a tour of the factory to demonstrate what a safe environment the biscuits were made under.

At the end of the day, they asked him for the biscuit, which the customer duly gave them.  When they turned the biscuit over, it had another manufacture’s name, other than “Carr’s”, impressed upon it. 

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 August 17 09:08 BST (UK) »
Just came across this while researching my family tree. Does anyone know if there was a Cyril Carr?

Hi Tracey, welcome to RootsChat.

There was a John Cecil CARR (b 1876) who was a son ... I wonder if it was him.

Where did he live or die?  Who did he marry?

EDIT: I have discovered that John Cecil CARR became a doctor and lived in China (d 1922). He married a Dorothy HUNNYBUN.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Tracey1408

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 August 17 11:02 BST (UK) »

Hi Tracey, welcome to RootsChat.

There was a John Cecil CARR (b 1876) who was a son ... I wonder if it was him.

Where did he live or die?  Who did he marry?

EDIT: I have discovered that John Cecil CARR became a doctor and lived in China (d 1922). He married a Dorothy HUNNYBUN.

My great grandfather set up his businesses in Ripon his last name was Moore so I presume his mother's who the story goes married Cyril Carr was either divorced/ widowed. Don't know either her first name or maiden name. I wish I asked questions of my grandfather when I could, but unfortunately I was young and not very interested in the family history so I've only got snippets of information from other family members.
I live in Whitehaven and as a child I always remember being told there was some connection with the carrs it was only when u got older I learned what that connection was and that my great uncle, the son of my 2 x great grandmother and cyril carr.
I wonder if I could maybe find them on the census before moving to China to see if I can find my great grandfather living with a John Cyril carr