Author Topic: Photographs of Shrewsbury / completed  (Read 12411 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photographs of Shrewsbury / completed
« on: Friday 23 September 05 20:30 BST (UK) »
Dear Jan,
 Would it be possible to take some photos at St. Chad's cemetery, in Shrewsbury?
I will reply with names if you can do this. Much appreciated.
Jeany
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Photographs of Shrewsbury offer, Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 September 05 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi J.J.

Yes I can take photos in St Chad's cemetery.  Let me know the names and I will take whatever photos you need.

By the way, love your username JJ, that was my nickname all through school!!!!!!!

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 September 05 00:25 BST (UK) »
J.J.

What a small world!!!! I was christened in St Chad's Church :D

In 1984 the film "A Christmas Carol" (with George C Scott, Edward Woodward, Susannah York etc) was filmed in Shrewsbury and they used St Chad's Cemetery to make a fake grave for Scrooge.  As a reminder of the film Scrooge's grave was left intact for people to see.  I'll take a photo of that too, just in case you're interested!!!!!

http://www.search.secretshropshire.org.uk/engine/theme/default.asp?theme=2015&text=0  Some photos from the making of the film.

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 September 05 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hello, Jan!
 I thank you so very much for doing this for me. I thought you might think it a little morbid of me.  The top 2 names I am not sure if they were buried here.
 Thomas Blunt and Sarah (nee Smith) will for sure be in there, so any of the family around them would be appreciated. Whatever you have time and room for.
Robert BLUNT- b. 1777?   D.---
Anne Blunt - b. 1781? D.----

Thomas BLUNT Sr.- b. 1803 c. 1874  Shr.Shr.
Sarah  b.1801  D. 1864

Blunt- Thomas Porter – G.GF.     B. 1842        D. 1929
Emily Rachael Blunt- G.GM. b. 1842  d. 1910

Emily Augusta Blunt  b.1868  d.___
                 Mary Ella Blunt  b.  1871  d.___
                   Gertrude Mabel E. (Rodick)  b. 1872  d.___
                    Walter Arthur Blunt  b. 1874  d.___
                    Charles Ernest J. Blunt  b. 1876  d.___
                      Hubert Porter Blunt  b. 1882  d.___

If you find the ones marked in brown I will be very happy! If you have time to do any of the others, then bonus for me. Thanks for even wanting to be so helpful.

Many, many thanks!   J.J.   (my other nickname is Jeany )

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 September 05 02:59 BST (UK) »
Forgot to thank you for the link ... I had seen this a while ago but it was great to view it again....Oh, and please do take one of "Scrooge's" gravestone!!! That would be just awesome!!!! Everyone will want a copy of it!!!!  I could enlarge it for on the door at Hallowe'en...rather a joke on the overlap of occassions!
( For those of you in Australia...that's a door to door canvas for candy....in costume! )
Thanks again, Jan

Cyber Hugs from J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 September 05 03:18 BST (UK) »
On the second page of the Christmas Carol link....there are photos of "Town Walls" which I have been told just recently is the modern name for "Tower Place" which is where my ancestors resided! When well enough to remember,  my mom said that  his place and a neighbour's home were both part of the old Shrewsbury wall. She thought the neighbour's name might have been Faulk...and I remember thinking "Faulky Towers??"
Wow, if that's true, mom will get a real kick out of it.  ( she's 87...with many strokes, but loves to laugh and try to remember things! )

Here's my site honouring her Grandfather, Thomas Porter!

http://members.shaw.ca/TPBLUNT/Blunt_Photos.htm

If you scroll down....you will see a photo she took of the place about 15 years ago when she went back to England first time since the war for an Air Force Reunion. 

All the best, J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 September 05 03:21 BST (UK) »
Oh, and Jan...
I love the photo of the lovely little Gal in your messages. Is that you? J.J.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 September 05 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi J.J

Yes, the little girl in the photo is me!!  I think I was about 4 years old - must ask Mum to confirm that for me next time I see her.

I have just had a look at your website and must say it's excellent.    I also looked at the Shrewsbury Trade Directory Link and saw your Blunt's listed as a Chemist on Wyle Cop.  Do you know which property they had?  I only ask, because if you do I could take a photo for you.

Let me know if there's any other places in Shrewsbury that you would like photos of.

There are several good websites about Shrewsbury, which no doubt you have already seen, but here's a few more links for you:

http://www.stchadsshrewsbury.org.uk/

http://www.shrewsburyguide.info/index.html

http://www.shropshiretourism.info/shrewsbury/

Jan :D

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 September 05 17:19 BST (UK) »
Jan...that is so great! I have seen photos of St.Chad's but that is a wonderful one on the site.. and the tourist pages are very compelling. My husband and I would love to visit one day. His roots are in Morepeth ...& some in Scotland so we would both like to get on a plane right now! The lotteries just aren't cooperating!
   I loved the heading Shrewsbury ... or is it Shrowsbury?... as my mum would use a broad accent when she said she was born in Shrowsbury Shropshire...and I'd swear there was almost a whistle is the s's.
   How kind you are to share so much of your time. You really love your town, and I can see why! So much history and beauty!

The photo my mother took on her visit to England....back then, she said the old 4 story home had been turned into a school with several classrooms, and that they had installed an elevator! If you could get a photo of it now, that would be lovely...
As far as the chemist shop, I am not sure if there is an address anywhere. I know an old ad just said Blunt & son, wyle cop...But I did pay for a receipt that I found online! I will dig to see if there is more on it!!!

Great Grandfather was pulled away from school to help his ailing chemist father....good lad to comply...although in those days one had no choice I am sure... but he did make a scientific discovery with a friend, and that must have put a feather in his cap. "The effects of light on bacteria." Sad, though, that Shrewsbury doesn't laud this achievement, though small at the time, I suppose... It is used so much in modern filtration methods, though....and paved the way for other discoveries.
A plaque on the wall where his shop once was would have been nice. 

Sorry, I have written a novel...off to find that receipt!    J.J.